Friendly Games

Curtis Armada

A game between Canada's Olympic Team vs Canada's National Team?

Annual Canadian Tournament in the summer comprising of Olympic team, National team and inviting 2-4 European or South American professional teams? If the European or South American professional teams are unavailable, how about those Lynx, Calgary and Vancouver teams?

quote:Originally posted by Curtis Armada

A game between Canada's Olympic Team vs Canada's National Team?

Annual Canadian Tournament in the summer comprising of Olympic team, National team and inviting 2-4 European or South American professional teams? If the European or South American professional teams are unavailable, how about those Lynx, Calgary and Vancouver teams?

Something that I have always believed about freindlies or "A" Matches is that they provide fans of int'l soccer something to look fwd to between WC and continental championships. I have always viewed them differently from your typical exhibition game that we see in North american pro sports, in that a soccer freindly has more prestige and importance even though, realistically, they don't count for anything. But there is a great deal of pride on the line for the fans. That is why I don't believe in having friendlies against anyone other than national sides. I believe that MNT freindlies against club sides, league all star teams diminish the prestige of freindlies and they become "exhibition games" instead.

I believe that your national team regardless of its strenght worldwide should always be held with a certain amount of prestige. I feel that it doesn't speak highly of ,for example, India when they tour the english lower divisions to play their friendlies. My view, I do not believe that we should play friendlies against club sides. regardless of who the club is. And yes , we know that there are many clubs sides that are really world class teams, but why lower ourselves to these level. These kind of games are fine if they occur "behind closed doors" as part of a training camp before a major tournament. But beyond that...

Just my view on the matter

Archived