Varsity Stadium protester

JayWay

Did anyone see any news footage of the U of T homecoming celebrations? I did, and of note was a man standing outside the former (or I guess still presently) Varsity stadium premis with a sign saying "SHAME" I think with Varsity Stadium written on it. I thnk that was cool that atleast someone outside the soccer community cares and recognizes what an idiot move it was to tear it down.

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

I think it's pretty clear U of T needs a team so Toronto football fans have something to do early in the weekend while they're waiting to make their regular Sunday drive to Buffalo to support the Bills. [:0)]

Even if the Blues are going to have another winless season.

Again.

Who cares about the U of T football team, the soccer team is 8-0-0 and #2 in the country. [8D] (Hehe, and they pissed off the football team by publically calling them a "joke" and then had to apologize to all of them. [:P])

As for a stadium, it was never a priority. The key plan for that land was student housing, with a small stadium/athletic centre on the side. But now that an alternative solution for student housing has been found, I doubt there is any incentive (or money) to build a stadium (temporary bleachers are now set up to serve the few people who attend any sports).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Who cares about the U of T football team, the soccer team is 8-0-0 and #2 in the country. [8D] (Hehe, and they pissed off the football team by publically calling them a "joke" and then had to apologize to all of them. [:P])

They aren't a joke.

Their a disgrace.:D

As for a stadium, it was never a priority. The key plan for that land was student housing, with a small stadium/athletic centre on the side. But now that an alternative solution for student housing has been found, I doubt there is any incentive (or money) to build a stadium (temporary bleachers are now set up to serve the few people who attend any sports).

Guess Mike Toth was right when he said that university sporting events in TO could be held in a phone booth.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

They aren't a joke.

Their a disgrace.:D

Guess Mike Toth was right when he said that university sporting events in TO could be held in a phone booth.

The U of T football team should not feel overly discouraged; look at the results that the U de S and the Bishop's teams are posting. I am not sure why the U to T soccer team apologized. A joke is a joke!

quote:Originally posted by Lennie

The U of T football team should not feel overly discouraged; look at the results that the U de S and the Bishop's teams are posting. I am not sure why the U to T soccer team apologized. A joke is a joke!

Just want to point out that the U de S Huskies are 8-0 and will be ranked number one after this weekend's play. Now I know that is not the U de S you are talkng about Lennie, but it had to be said since we've wandered into the realm of CIS Football:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, well, well.

Who's 8-0-0? Not U of T...anymore. Bye-bye 2003 season.

Methinks someone needs to eat a lot of humble pie in front of the football team (no matter how crappy they remain).

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Well, well, well.

Who's 8-0-0? Not U of T...anymore. Bye-bye 2003 season.

Methinks someone needs to eat a lot of humble pie in front of the football team (no matter how crappy they remain).

Well, they did lose to Laurentian somehow, but still went 10-0-1 including the playoff win over Waterloo and were ranked #2 in Canada. So now they are eliminated on a technicality, which is all about the CPSL's inaccurate "professional" label rather than the team having a tangible unfair advantage. Sure, they have to bow out if that's what the rules say, but that doesn't mean those wins and ranking weren't earned.

P.S. I have nothing against the football team. In fact I have a lot of respect for the attitude they've maintained and have defended them. I'm just much more interested in soccer.

Archived