Canadians in Europe (27-28 sep)

Bxl Boy

Klukowski finally began today his first match of the season for La Louvière

They played (and won !) in Liège against Stadard, 0-2

More surprising was where Klukowski played : not in defence, but as left midfielder. He replaced the Belgian spurs international Djemba-Shango who habitually plays there.

I don't know if it was because he's injured or if it's a tactical choice (Djemba is a forward of formation and plays very offensive)

Guest Jeffery S.

More from Europe.

Paul Stalteri scored Werder Bremen's 3rd goal in m. 70 as they beat Koln 1-4 away. He played the whole game.

Julian de Guzmán also played 90 but Hannover fell away 1-0 to Kaiserslautern on an extra time Klose goal.

In Scotland Kevin McKenna came on late 2nd half for 15 minutes as Hearts only could draw Motherwell 1-1. No Fenwick for Hibs. Emilio Bottiglieri scored once again for Greenock Morton in a 0-4 thrashing of Airbroath, as the team remains on top of Scotland Div. 2.

In Div 1 England no de Vos for Wigan, who won, nor Brennan for Norwich. Wigan is tied with Sheffield Utd on top of the league, as this latter beat Bradford away 1-2 with Paul Peschisolido playing the entire 2nd half and getting a few shots off.

In Div 2 Bent played 90 for Plymouth who won 2-0 over Barnsley, the team is now eight games without a loss and a few points off the league leadership. No sign of Rogers in another Wycombe loss, while Hume started for Tranmere and subbed out m. 86, as they also lost.

No Dunfield for Bury, who also lost again, as the team struggles this year.

When I saw that Emelio had scored again, I went to the Morton website and they had an interview with him. I don't know if anyone ever posted it before, but his recent success spurred me to post it.

From GMFC website

Emilio Bottiglieri Interview

Morton’s Reliable Mel!

Rarely do players travel such a distance to play for Morton. Emilio Bottiglieri or Mel as he likes to be known, has done just that. Born and raised in Canada, he was one of the first signings of Douglas Rae’s Morton. He has endured both success and failure in his short career at Cappielow. Having recently turned full-time at the club and moving to Inverclyde, Mel has made his intentions clear. I met with the quiet Canadian to talk about life at Morton.

Hi Emilio. As the Tannoy-man at Cappielow, I’ve struggled to pronounce your name for sometime. Exactly how do you pronounce it?

Hi Andrew. I have heard some strange pronunciations of my second name but the proper way to pronounce it is Bott-i-gli-eri. Silent g.

Born and raised in Canada, how did you find your way to Scotland?

A friend of mine was playing at Hibs. He spoke to the Youth Team Coach at that time Donald Park, who arranged for me to come over for a trial. I had just finished my last year at school and decided to take a chance. My Dad helped me out financially and I had the trial. They were impressed and I signed for their Youth team.

You were at Hibs for a few years. Tell us about your time there.

I had a great time at Hibs. I was there for four years and played under some great managers. Jim Duffy was the manager when I signed before Alex McLeish took over. I mainly worked with Donald Park though who was a huge help to me. Although I didn’t play that often for the first team it was a great time in my life. The city also is vibrant and has so much culture. I made a lot of friends at Hibs and still keep in touch with them. I have no regrets about leaving though.

Have you ever represented Canada?

I haven’t officially. I trained with the Olympic team though and played in a home friendly.

Would you like to?

Obviously I would love to represent my country at any level. It’s probably the highest honour that a player can achieve. I hope if I keep working away then one day the call will come.

Did you not have a spell at Partick Thistle Mel?

I was on loan at Partick from Hibs for a month. I played under John Lambie and the new Partick manager Gerry Collins. It was a good experience as they are a big club. Unfortunately I didn’t play too many games there but I enjoyed myself. I also went out on loan to Albion Rovers and East Fife for three months. I really enjoyed my time at both clubs. It was a real eye opener and good to get first team experience.

How have you adjusted to being a full-time footballer?

I’ve handled the adjustment fine. It’s difficult when you are only part-time what with all the travelling and trying to keep your fitness levels high. Turning full-time has been good for me, as I feel fitter and healthier. I like training everyday and it is good to be involved. I was a Hotel Manager in my job away from football but when the chance to turn full-time came up I jumped at it.

You have just moved to Gourock from Edinburgh. How do you like it down here?

I loved Edinburgh, as it is such a great place to live. There is always something going on and it’s always so busy. However I like it down here by the Clyde too. I living with a team-mate which is good and it has some great views over the river. I’m very happy about not having to travel back and forth, as that was a killer.

You signed for Morton just after Chairman Douglas Rae saved the club. Describe what that first season was like.

I spoke to Paul Fenwick who told me all about Morton. He couldn’t praise the club and the supporters enough. It was a tough situation we were in but we had to get on with it. We didn’t start very well and I fractured my foot. I was only out for eight weeks but I found it hard to come back from that. It was hard for everyone and we failed to find any fluency. Unfortunately we were relegated.

As one of the original squad, what did last season’s Championship success mean to you in particular?

It made up a lot for the season before that. It really did mean a lot. I think unbelievable just about sums it up. There were so many ups and downs but to win the league in the fashion that we did just made it even more special. I’d never won anything before so it was a really nice feeling.

As a natural right footer, how have you adjusted playing down the left side for Morton?

Yeah it’s fine. When I was Hibs I played either side of the park. When I came to Morton I was needed to play on the left side of defence so I just got on with it. It doesn’t bother me.

A goal that earned you a cult following with the Morton fans was your goal against Gretna at Cappielow last season. Would you talk us through THAT goal and your celebration?

It was just a good goal. It just sat up nicely and I don’t think I could have struck it any better. For it to curve and bend so much just made it even sweeter. I always wear a vest under my top and Marco (Maisano) had said that if I score I should show it to everyone. When it went in I couldn’t think of anything else to do so I did just that. I don’t score very often so it was a nice feeling.

Do you get to see your family in Canada very often?

My Mother, Father, Brothers and Sisters are back home so I go back to Canada every close season for four or five weeks. I have a few family members on my dad’s side in London but don’t see them very often. My younger brother is the only one that really follows how I’m getting on at Morton. He’s always on the Internet checking the scores and match reports. He prints them off and puts them on the fridge for everyone to read. He came over last year and came to a game. He loved it as it’s completely different to back home and now he’s a Morton supporter.

What are your hopes for this season?

Obviously we want to be promoted. There is no point in playing if you don’t want to win. We have an excellent squad here at Morton and one of the best fan bases in Scotland. We still need to respect the other sides in this division but we are confident in our ability.

You always seem calm and collected on the pitch. Are you the same off of the park?

Yeah I am a pretty laid back guy. It is very rare for me to lose my rag but if it needs to be done then I will. People say I’m too nice for my own good. However I am a calm guy and I just get on with my own business.

What are your ambitions for the future?

I just want to improve as much as I possibly can. I can feel a big improvement already since I turned full-time and I’m delighted. I want to play at the highest possible level and hopefully this will be with Morton. I have really taken this club to my heart and I’m delighted to be a part of it.

Thank you for your time Mel and good luck tonight.

Thanks Andy.

Emilio Bottiglieri was in conversation with Andrew Bowman.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

When I saw that Emelio had scored again, I went to the Morton website and they had an interview with him. I don't know if anyone ever posted it before, but his recent success spurred me to post it.

From GMFC website

Emilio Bottiglieri Interview

Good for him. I'm glad to hear he's interested in playing for Canada, we need all the scorers we can get. And he's got just the right attitude. I hope he earns some caps when he's ready.

If his brother's on here at all, give Mel our best!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

I'm canadian and i live in belgium for now, im a supporter of la louviere, we're seriously kicking ass, klukowski is back in, the reason why they put him back in was because he was slightly injured and they didn wanna take any risks, they also put klukowski in for the game against benfica, last 20 minutes or so, soon im planning to go see one of their games and bring allong a canadian hat, flag and some red and white shirts, ill probably be the only in the stadium. oh yea and the game against standard was big, were finally getting somewhere

allez les loups

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

Good for him. I'm glad to hear he's interested in playing for Canada, we need all the scorers we can get. And he's got just the right attitude. I hope he earns some caps when he's ready.

If his brother's on here at all, give Mel our best!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

That was why I posted it, because it was so nice to hear a Canadian talk about playing for the national team and that it is an "honour". I realize that the second division in Scotland may not be the best breeding ground for internationals but the fact he is a left back struck me (and that he may be in the first division next year). If the nats continue to play Brennan, DeGuzman and Stalteri in the midfield (despite the fact they are all left backs at club level) then maybe we could give Mel a shot. Maybe he's versatile as well.

Plus, it is good to hear Klukowski is doing well. Thanks for the updates.

DeGuzman is not a left back at his club. He was earlier in the season as they were short-staffed back there, but with the arrival of the Brazilian Kleber, he has assumed a more natural role in the midfield, where he has thrived (according to reports coming out of Germany).

As for Canada, I think Klukowski will eventually assume that role, but as for now we've got Jazic (if he ever decides to play) that can play there, as well as the aforementioned Brennan.

Stalteri can play back there in a pinch (although he's been playing more as a right back with Wereder), but he's seemed to have grown into the role of midfield leader with Canada.

More on Klukowski : he replaced Djemba because he was very tired after the Benfica game

They are three for two places on the left : Klukowski (prefers back but can also play in the midfield), Vervalle (can play both) and Djemba (can't play in defense)

Fanatic, where do you live in Belgium ?

Guest Jeffery S.

Friend scores in loss, more Norway, and Radz

In Norway all our Canucks were busy except Harmse, whose Tromso lost. Sogndal lost 1-2 to Lyn on an extra time goal, Reda got the highest rating for them and played 90. In their 1st division, 2nd tier, Rob Friend scored to tie it for Moss but Orn Horten, a team in relegation zone, came on to beat them 2-1. Patrice Bernier also played, but the team's best player was the keeper, so I suspect they were attacked hard and it could have been worse. For Haugesund, Milan Kojic seemed to play striker for 87 minutes and got a yellow as they lost 4-1 to Raufoss. With 5 games left they are ten points off a promotion spot.

And just so that these threads are complete even though this is late, Radzinski played 75 minutes for Everton in their 4-0 win over poor Leeds on Sunday. Steve Watson, who was a defender and is now an attacking midfielder and sometime striker, hit three. Everton actually have a lot of scoring options and Radz had a few chances but didn't get on the board.

England lower divisions are busy this Tuesday with league play as EPL rests for Champions and UEFA.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Radzinski played 75 minutes for Everton in their 4-0 win over poor Leeds on Sunday. Steve Watson, who was a defender and is now an attacking midfielder and sometime striker, hit three. Everton actually have a lot of scoring options and Radz had a few chances but didn't get on the board.

I watched the EPL highlight show for the weekend matches. When Watson scored his third on a looping shot over the keeper, it looked like Rad had a chance to steal the goal with a header at the goal line. But, he graciously made sure the ball fell in for Watson. He showed some real class there (there are a few primadonnas out there who would have taken it for themselves).

You speak dutch thus ?

Or you live there full in english ?

I suggest you to go to the Antwerps Derby, Antwerp - Beerschot, it's a lot of fun to see we will be the "ploeg van 't stad" (team of the city).

I would also have suggested to go to the Mechels derby in Mechelen, 10.000 people for a Division 3 match, it's amazing ! But it was last week-end.

i speak French English and Dutch, they dont have many canadians here... actually i know none, yea i live near the beaver stadion beerschot lol theyr like my second favorite team, my first is wherever klukowski's in, damn how come u know so much about the local football,

yeah, i saw antwerp - beerschot reserves we won 3-6 or something, i forgot but it was amazing,

mechelen used to be in division 1 till this year, same might happen to charleroi, tonight (in about half an hour i think) its bayern munchen vs anderlecht, hargreaves in munchen -->'i hope they wound him the traitor', but hey a friend told me just today that klukowski had a chance to go to Genk

That's because I'm a Belgian in Canada :)

Supporter of former RWD Molenbeek

And I didn't know any canadian there neither

Yes, last year Klukowski interested Genk and, more interersting in my eyes, Lokeren (because Lokeren, when they have a good player form abroad, they go find other ones in that country, look at the Islanders now, some Czech before or the Elkjaer-Larsen generation in the 80's)

cool, I didn know that about lokeren, they had a nice game again manchester united 2-3 lost but they played visitors, quite amazing,

any predictions for la louviere visiting porto?

by the way where did u live in belgium or originate from

It was Manchester City, but it was a great game

Yes, I saw it ! Fox Sports World broadcasted the game

Of course, I watched, we have too less occasions to see Belgian football here, even if its level is quite good (like Portuguese or Scottish for example)

I think La Louvière will loose in Benfica because there's a too big difference between both teams, in international experience mainly. But I think they will play a great game there, they have shape and confidence those last weeks.

I lived in Molenbeek (Brussels), 10 minutes by foot from the stadium :)

Archived