Anything but child's play

Auger9

awesome article:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/Women/2003/09/19/197273.html

Anything but child's play

By TERRY JONES -- Edmonton Sun

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- They're a day away from taking the first step, maybe the first large leap, into their future, trying not to think about it, trying not to talk about it. But they can't help it. They're here and it's there and no way can they make it go away.

"I'm aware that what's about to happen could change my life dramatically,'' is how Kara Lang puts it.

"I'm trying not to think about it. The first game against Germany is all I'm trying to think about, but sometimes it's hard to keep it all out of your head.''

Lang is 16. Turns 17 next month.

She's the youngest player ever to score a goal in international competition, breaking the record set by the legendary Mia Hamm of the U.S. The Oakville, Ont., talent could play in five World Cups and five Olympic Games and quit three years before she reaches Charmaine Hooper's ripe old age of 35.

"That's crossed my mind. It's all crossed my mind. But I can't comprehend what could happen over the years for this team or in my career right now," Lang said.

"I'm just trying to get used to the idea I'm about to play in my first World Cup game. I'm more anxious than anything. I'm really excited. It's so hard to believe it's about to happen, that it's a day away.

"This is my first game and you only play one first game. All that other stuff will come. All I can think about is my first game and trying to pump myself down instead of pumping myself up.''

Christine Sinclair is 20. She's already ranked as one of the top six women's soccer players in the world. She won the Golden Boot and the Golden Ball at the FIFA U-19 Championships in Edmonton last year and scored both goals to lead Portland to a 2-0 win in the NCAA championship game this year. She's already done so much. But this is a new beginning. And this is the ultimate stage.

POSTER GIRLS FOR CANADA

The two are the poster girls for Canada as they prepare to play their first World Cup game here Saturday. One can only imagine what's ahead of them and Canadian women's soccer.

"I'm so excited,'' said Sinclair. "This is the tournament. I've always dreamed of this. It's as big as it gets.''

She says she knows there are great expectations for her to show her talent on the ultimate stage in the sport.

"I know, but I try not to think about that. We want to win the World Cup. I think we're all taking the attitude if we all play well and have success as a team everything else will come out of that,'' said the Burnaby, B.C., striker.

They're only two members of the core group of young stars on this team, the girls which entered the Canadian consciousness with their mystical, magical success story in taking the Americans to a golden-goal, overtime session in the final of the FIFA U-19 World Championship in a sold-out Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.

Sinclair, Lang and the Canadian gang together are viewed as a possible second coming of the American core group of players like Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain, Julie Foudy, Joy Fawcett and Kristine Lilly of whom American coach April Heinrichs declares: "there will never be another generation like those five players.''

This is the last hurrah for that group. It's the first hurray for the Canadian girls.

It's hard for Canada's Girls of Summer to comprehend what is suddenly in front of them.

"It's like Even Pellerud tells us. We have the potential to play in so many, but you have to look at it like this might be the only one,'' said Sinclair.

"I can't even think about scoring my first World Cup goal,'' added the young star who already has 40 international goals not including the 10 goals to win the scoring title at the FIFA U-19 worlds. Sinclair scored seven last fall in the qualifying tournament to tie for the scoring lead with Hooper and Tiffeny Milbrett of the U.S. in that one.

"I think scoring that first goal will be amazing,'' said Lang, who has already scored 19 international goals at her tender age.

SINCLAIR ON STAGE

But forget about herself, suggests Lang, and think about Sinclair and what she may do on this stage.

"For her it's limitless. She's capable of so much,'' Lang stressed of her teammate.

Sinclair says it's just a new carpet for what has already been a magic carpet ride.

"It's just so exciting (thinking) of what we could do on this team, how well we did last summer and how with every experience we can only get better.''

She says the measuring stick is the U.S. and that's why she thinks it's great that Canada's first two games are here, because in a way it's where it all began.

"We beat the U.S. 3-1 in this same stadium a couple of years ago. We hadn't beaten the Americans in I don't know how many games and how many years until then. It was the first time with Even Pellerud as our coach.

"We just love to play them and we'd love to beat them. I just hope we get a chance to play them.

"For so long they've been THE team. The time for a change is definitely here.''

Archived