Ethnic Team Names

Schoolboy

Just raising an issue that might crop up in the CPSL's future. Will the league be forced to ask its team to drop some of their ethnic background team names? The Australian league has already dealt with this issue. i.e. teams such as Toronto Croatia, Olympians? I may never want to support the STC Roma Wolves because I am a Milanista! Is this an issue or should it be an issue? Will this help attendance at some venues in the GTA? If the league wants to grow, maybe they should deal with this today! Maybe I am just looking at the issue incorrectly.

Schoolboy

quote:Originally posted by DJT

There are ethnic teams in the CPSL (even if they don't have ethnic names), no doubt, and this is a bad thing, in my opinion.

There is one ethnic name Toronto Croatia yet the Metro Lions were not allowed to use All Nations in their name. A bit of a double standard?? Seriously though, the CPSL needs to address this. I talked once to John Muhar of Toronto Croatia(TC) re: this and he said that TC is a CPSL charter member and that we should be proud of our individual heritages. I'm Irish myself but don't prefer that a soccer team call itself ''Name of City'' Irish. I could settle for more ''ethnic inclusive'' names where a symbol is identifiable to an ethnic community but not to the exclusion of others. Ex: Shamrocks for Irish and White Eagles for Polish.

Just a thought.

Think too much is being made of ethnic names for clubs.

Maybe it works at the CPSL level. Maybe it wouldn't at a higher level of football.

Toronto Croatia sound better than Toroto Raptors to me.

Eventualy the fans well come up with their own nicknames for a club if the marketed one dosen't seem to fit and things could evolve from their.

"Minority of one"

Maybe we should push the team names in the background like they do in most if not all the soccer professional leagues around the world. (there are some exceptions). Just call Toronto Croatia - Toronto - or pick an area of the GTA to associate with. Brampton, Durham etc etc do it. Team names are just a marketing ploy, to sell more shirts, toys etc - which doesn't really make sense for the CPSL. The old montreal franchise actually dropped the local out of its name - FC Supra. The CPSL is too small right now to worry about this but what happens if a new franchise in Kingston wants to name its team Kingston Bosnia? What then?

Schoolboy

Archived