Toronto vs. Charlotte (R)

Gian-Luca

2-2 Final. Toronto came out sleeping in the first half & fell behind 2-0. To their credit, they did fight back to avoid an embarassing loss, with the highlight being Nick Blicharksi's first ever goal as a professional, which tied up the match late. When we see him play for Canada in the 2010 World Cup, we'll remember that it all started on this very night. [8D]

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Result of the Monday August 4th, 2003 A-League game between Toronto Lynx and Charlotte Eagles played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 6:00pm.

26 min...Eagles Andy Hylton GOAL...Eagles Andy McDermott freekick from 55 yards, Hylton gets behind defender to take flying header from 7 yards to short left conrer of net beyond Lynx goalie Theo Zagar.

34 min...Eagles Andy Hylton GOAL...Eagles Mark Pinch on left crosses from 20 yards and Hylton waiting for ball on right heads in from 7 yards.

53 min...Lynx Ryan Lucas GOAL...Lynx Nikki Vignjevic at center sends Lucas away through middle and from 15 yards after a run rolls ball to right side of net with Eagle goalie Trevor Upton sprawling 10 yards out.

74 min...Lynx Nick Blicharski GOAL...Lynx Nikki Vignvevic freekick from 25 yards is rolled left across field to Brian Ashton who shoots low, Blicharski slides body in box and ball deflects off his leg and into net from 3 yards.

Final Score:.....Toronto Lynx.......2........Charlotte Eagles.........2.......

(After two extra 10 minute overtime Golden Goal periods, there was no change in the score so the tie goes into the record books).

Attendance was announced as 2218 on this very hot and humid early evening.

This was the first Lynx game with Ali Ngon no longer in the lineup after his trade to Montreal Impact. Lynx only had three outfield players available on the subs bench but got them all in the game. The Lynx threw in the towel of making post season play so scoring two goals to come back was doubtful but the Charlotte Eagles have a dreadful record in the league. They are voluntarily relegating themselves down to the D-3 league next year according to news I read this week.

Lynx just dominated most of the game and Ryan Lucas had about a dozen choices on his own although quite a few were flick headers as he was well covered. Eagles defender Josh Rife shadowed the Lynx other forward Sebastian Barclay tonight. Last year I remember the Lynx coming back to beat the Eagles 3-2 in a weekday matinee game.

I was asked to vote for the Media's choice for the Lynx MVP. "Would you rather I pick someone who is still on the team? Yeah? OK." I said and I scratched out Ali Ngon and wrote in Theo Zagar.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

I'd of voted Veenhof. Theo has been good, maybe the best, but I feel he could have done better. I don't think he's played up to his full potential.

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

I think Veenhof has missed at least a third of the games through injury. Serioux is a great defender but they often play him on the wing for his long throw-ins and offensive punch. Since there's a prize for top defender, they could give it to steady Mauricio Vincello.

Archived