Arena Sings The Blues

bmac

At www.soccertimes.com Arena is quoted, expressing many of the same complaints people here in Canada have been making about the scheduling of the Gold Cup.

Chuckled about the "shot" taken by the writer, not Arena, essentially stating that every dollar saved by limiting roster size, etc. meant more for the "financial pool to wine and dine the "soccer federation freeloaders" [my term, not his.

bmac

quote:Originally posted by bmac

At www.soccertimes.com Arena is quoted, expressing many of the same complaints people here in Canada have been making about the scheduling of the Gold Cup.

Chuckled about the "shot" taken by the writer, not Arena, essentially stating that every dollar saved by limiting roster size, etc. meant more for the "financial pool to wine and dine the "soccer federation freeloaders" [my term, not his.

bmac

Bruce Arena states:

"The scheduling of this tournament is a joke. You cannot play as many games as we are being asked to play, in as few days, with travel thrown in, and especially with as small a roster as we are allowed. We had to play two matches in three days (in group play) and three in eight (including a quarterfinal) and then get on a plane and fly down here (from Foxborough, Mass.) and play three days later in the heat and humidity. It can't be done."

Well now, sounds a bit like 2002 yet Bruce had no probles with it then. Nor with one team having the home field advantage throughout. Gian-Luca, Your thoughts? :)

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Exactly. Although he makes some excellent points, I have no sympathy for Arena, considering he had home field throughout this tournament.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

There is a certain clarity in that statement. I like the Gold Cup, or at least it's idea, but the black and white of it is it is a hard tourny to be taken too seriously. At least as it stands given the 2003 addition.

Now if I can't take it seriously, how is anyone going to expect the players to? Guess the Yanks don't have to worry about that. All their players for the most part play in an accomodating domestic league.

"Minority of one"

Archived