Cuba - Costa Rica [R]

sstackho

Well, there are no [R]'s yet, but there will be. Kickoff is at 4:30pm EDT.

Soccertv.com says that the match is available on:

Galavision (US) - EAST FEED - Eastern/Central/Mtn (except Arizona)/DirecTV/DISH

I have no idea about web audio availability. I'll be following along on livescore.com, but I'll miss the second half as I have to go apartment-hunting! (Perhaps someone could text message me the scores through fido.ca?)

In Neil Davidson's article, he claims that for Canada to advance, Cuba has to win or tie or else "hope that the Costa Ricans win by at least three goals".

But by my math (see http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=558), a 3-goal CR win would give Cuba a -1, the same as Canada, but Cuba would get through by having scored more goals. So I think Neil was wrong.

---

'Shawn' on the old board...

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Well, there are no [R]'s yet, but there will be. Kickoff is at 4:30pm EDT.

---

This afternoon I'll be sitting in a mind numbingly tedius quarterly meeting listing to 25 or so people giving updates on their units/sections activities over th epast 3 months. I will not even be able to get updates on what is happening in Foxboro, and the meeting will be ending about the same time the game does. The result, unless improbable, will probably ensure that I don't get to see another Canadian Senior Men's game until November, and then only if somebody decides to pick up the game in Canada, a 50-50 proposition at best. I'd better better be on extra good behaviour for the rest of my life, because this afternoon, I am getting a taste of hell.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

So which way are you going to cheer? Hoping Cuba can pull off an upset, or at least hold CR to a draw? Hoping CR dominate and keep putting the ball in the net? Start one way and move the other as the match progresses? Hide under a pile of laundry and hope that everything turns out OK in the morning?

I see $1 bet payouts for this match of $1.55 for a CR victory, $3.70 for a draw, and $5.00 for a Cuba victory...

---

I'm realistically hoping for a 0-0 draw. I don't think Costa Rica can put 4 past Molina.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

Guest Jeffery S.

So which way are you going to cheer? Hoping Cuba can pull off an upset, or at least hold CR to a draw? Hoping CR dominate and keep putting the ball in the net? Start one way and move the other as the match progresses? Hide under a pile of laundry and hope that everything turns out OK in the morning?

I see $1 bet payouts for this match of $1.55 for a CR victory, $3.70 for a draw, and $5.00 for a Cuba victory...

These kind of matches don't start fixed, but can get fixed. In principle Cuba has a clear idea that tying helps them avoid the States, which they want to do (as we did too). So they know they might need a goal, if they get one they'll defend, hope for a 1-1. If they are down one they might try to tie. So I don't see Cuba winning by any more than a goal and most likely playing for the tie. Unless...

The only way things can change is if Costa Rica goes up early or even 2nd half by two and it is clear that Cuba won't come back. So Cuba realizes they'll face the States and doesn't push to tie, as that would mean exposing the back and risking taking more goals and getting knocked out. A 2-0 result favourable to Costa Rica anywhere like half through means both sides will accept it happily and we are out. A way to play your way into a fix.

I have a theory that the Cubans may actually want to play the States. How often does Cuba get to play the States in anything? Think about it - a chance to topple the big, bad oppressor. Everyone in Cuba would be watching.

They would probably lose, but they should fare better in soccer than they will in most other sports (save baseball).

---

Good point re volleyball...

Hey, how come Jarrek locked us out of the text update thread? Now we need to use two different threads - one to monitor the match and one to comment on it?

I locked it out so it will be easier to read and for me to post replies. Next livetext game I will try something different.

Heh, I didn't see this thread so I started my own. Oh well, just ignore my alternate thread.

The interesting thing about this situation is, no matter what, we will have a reason to follow the game to the bitter end. If Cuba is within one goal we cheer for them. If CR goes up by two, then we can cheer for a CR blowout.

Ah, the joys of being a Canada soccer fan...

From the sound of the announcers on Radio Unica, it sounds like there have been about a dozen amazing scoring chances - although the match hasn't started yet!

Spanish announcers are fun, but damn hard to follow. :)

---

Just seventy minuted to go!!! *this is worse than being in the stadium Saturday...I'm a freakin' wreck...

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

Rage Against The Machine

As of this weekend I may have a net-enabled phone, but not yet. The text messaging can be done through fido.ca.

AW CRAP!!! I just remembered that I forgot my phone today!! I realized after I left the house, and I figured "Ah, I don't need it. I'll get it tomorrow". And my girlfriend doesn't even have internet access!! I'll have to call a buddy who does. This totally sucks.

Or I could get you guys to send her the text messages. :D Actually I might do that... Don't know about e-mail, but messages can be sent through bell.ca.

---

Send me your 10 digit phone number or Alias and I can do it through Bell.ca...

If you want me to...

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

Rage Against The Machine

Archived