my letter to sportsworld@the score.ca

bettermirror

hello james, (sharman)

i love your show. however, today is july 11th and neither on the early nor later edition of sportsworld did you mention word one about the gold cup which canada kicks off july 12th. this is a disgrace. it's bad enough canadian sports networks virtually ignore sports from around the world, but to also completely disregard our national team is a complete and utter embarrasment. you should hang your heads over this. how is this nation supposed to advance in the world's most popular sport when one of it's leading television stations can't be bothered to support even its national teams, let alone it's local (semi) professional club teams.

this MUST be addressed, james.

PS-I SUGGEST ALL OF YOU WRITE IN WHETHER YOU SAW THE SHOW OR NOT.

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

Well, Christ, I'm sure they had an action packed show, discussing Cisse arriving late for practice among other things. That was one of the headlines today at Slam Sports until Neil Davidson stepped up to the plate later today. Can't expect any coverage of colonial activities; oops, other than Celtic and ManU having a kick about that is. Fox Sports World CANADA had a preview of the Gold Cup. I mean a preview of Mexico and Brazil. I don't think they even mentioned Canada was playing.

Free the banana cream 3!

FSWC had a preview after the Impact game and did a bit of a focus on the USA and Canada's groups. My man McKenna got a few kind words and Bobby's even calling Canada to win their group. This of course, knowing Bobby, may just be a set up so he can say how Canada disappointed again at the international level if our lads don't finish in first. I'm giving them a 50/50 chance and they'll have to BEAT Costa Rica to do it, but I guess that's stating the odvious.

Nothing in today's Winnipeg Free Press. Probably be some coverage in the saturday paper but with a 12 o'clock kickoff (local) that's a bit late in the day as it were. Don't know about Sun coverage as I'll have as little to do with anything Mulroney has soiled with his touch as possible.

"Minority of one"

Was tjat tonight's show?????

Forget it. Saw you said it was after the Impact game.

Well, good on them.

Free the banana cream 3!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Fox Sports World CANADA had a preview of the Gold Cup. I mean a preview of Mexico and Brazil. I don't think they even mentioned Canada was playing.

I was going to comment on this as well. It irritated me to no end (but FSWC has a habit of doing that). What's even worse is that the one-hour show (FSW Report) is essentially the same 30 minutes repeated twice --- which means, instead of seeing more Gold Cup previews, we got to see the Brazil and Mexico preview twice! Unbelievable.

Okay, so Cheeta reports that the July 11 edition finally got around to Canada. I haven't seen it yet. Regardless, they should mention Canada every night.

I'm going to go a bit off topic here, but I've been intending to rant about this for a while now, so... FSW Report has gotten worse ever since it got picked up by FSW in the US. They now cater to their American audience. They have MLS reports virtually every night, with highlights of what must be every game, not to mention analysis by "expert" Bobby McMahon and even the occastional feature (last week they actually had Michelle Lissel in Los Angeles to profile a player). Yet they have nothing on our top clubs in the A-League. They have also had various reports on the US national teams and players. Nothing on Canada (not counting July 11). Ironic that this show was created in the first place in order to inject some Canadian content into the channel.

What really takes the cake: a few weeks back they played an audio recording of Holger Osieck commenting on the David Beckham transfer. I have never heard Holger on there talking about Canada.

Guest Jeffery S.

Geez, even my sports dailies in Barcelona mention the Canada-Costa Rica game as the GC starting match.

Most of the focus is on the Barça players (Marquez and Brazil's Motta)but you'd think the Canadian press could get their heads out of their butts and see the light.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

FSWC had a preview after the Impact game and did a bit of a focus on the USA and Canada's groups.

Okay, I saw it now. It was nothing compared to what Brazil and Mexico got. We got our schedule put on the screen and a few comments from Bobby. They got, if I remember correctly, some video footage from their training camps, a bit from their press conferences, a couple of interviews. Ridiculous.

quote:Bobby's even calling Canada to win their group.
Bobby isn't always terribly clear. At first it sounded like he said that Canada should win the group, but then as he went on he said that the key game would be against Cuba. Figure that one out.

No, I didn't think the coverage was worth much either but it was something. Maybe that something was disappointment, but something anyway.

I'm going to read Bobby's mind here a little (since this time around we seem to be on the same page) and figure he's calling for a draw against CR. It'll come down to goal difference against Cuba to see who finishs 1st, and who finishs 2nd. A 2nd draw against Cuba would be tragic but'll get us through (excepting some sort of fix).

I'm little troubled by the Cuba game myself. Our lads well have been together long enough that they should be able to develop an understanding of sorts by monday. Enough at least that our big men well be giving them fits on their way to victory.

"Minority of one"

Archived