Julian de Guzman

Guest Ed

With reacquired signing Jan Simak not ready to go, Julian de Guzman started as an attacking midfielder yesterday for Hannover 96 as they took on hosts FC Basel in the Alpencup. Julian did very well according to reports and had the goal of the game with a header from well out on Hannover's second goal. The final was 3-3 and the hosts went on to win on PKs. Hannover plays Dynamo Zagreb later today in the 3rd place game.

Julian gets a rest as Simak starts today. Hannover 96 beat Dynamo Zagreb 2-1 today to take 3rd place. Julian comes on for a striker in the 83rd minute.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

With reacquired signing Jan Simak not ready to go, Julian de Guzman started as an attacking midfielder yesterday for Hannover 96 as they took on hosts FC Basel in the Alpencup. Julian did very well according to reports and had the goal of the game with a header from well out on Hannover's second goal. The final was 3-3 and the hosts went on to win on PKs. Hannover plays Dynamo Zagreb later today in the 3rd place game.

I don't really want to see Julian converted to a defender. I wonder though, if it is better to get playing time as a back versus sitting behind Simak. I don't suppose that even a strong pre-season will push him in front of an established vet like Simak.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

My understanding was that Simak was not getting an automatic start at Leverkusen last year. Leverkusen finished behind Hannover. It is safe to assume that the player who plays best will play. No guarantees for either. Needless to say, I don't question de Guzman's decision to stay in Germany. I think de Guzman is flexible so he could be playing in a few different positions this year.

At his age it is probably not essential that he start every game. More importantly, he needs to get regular and significant minutes of playing time. Enough to keep him hungry and motivated.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I don't really want to see Julian converted to a defender. I wonder though, if it is better to get playing time as a back versus sitting behind Simak. I don't suppose that even a strong pre-season will push him in front of an established vet like Simak.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Hannover 96 are looking for a left back. If that is a role Julian can fill he'll have a good chance to be a starter. US international Steve Cherundolo is their starting right back. How cool would that be to have 2 North Americans patroling the flanks for a good Bundesliga side?

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

Archived