Distribution out of the back

Gian-Luca

I wonder if this is the area where we will miss Menezes (as well as Tam) the most. Out of the defenders called to the Gold Cup, none of them are particularly brilliant with the ball at their feet - Fenwick, Dasovic, De Vos, Hastings, Pizzolitto & Pozniak, with Pozniak probably being the best of the bunch in that regard. I envision a lot of back-passes to Onstad or Hirshfeld who will then hoof it down field, making it doubly important for McKenna & Xausa (who I suspect will start up front) to bring those balls down.

Now, if we played Mike Klukowski and/or Jason Bent at the back, our distribution back there (and our ability to run with the ball out into midfield the way Tam does so well) probably improves a bit, but if we do it does leave us thinner in midfield in terms of subs & leaves us a heck of a lot of extra defenders on the bench. Or would force us to play Dasovic in midfield, and frankly I'd much prefer it if Nick plays at the back, if he plays.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

I share you concerns. Given the options available, I would agree that Klukowski and maybe Bent should be considered in defence. In addition to a need for better ball skills, I am concerned about some speedy cover for De Vos in the middle. De Vos is by far our most important defender but he needs someone to compliment him. As well, I would love to see De Vos and McKenna in the box on our corners.

Judging from what I saw of the Germany game, Fenwick or Dasovic, in particular, don't give me any confidence. I don't know enough about Pizzolitto. I can't say that I have been impressed with Hastings either but he isn't the biggest weakness at the back.

I don't know about relying on Bent to distribute from the back. My concern with him was always his distribution--he was a great destroyer in a defensive mid position, but once he had the ball it typically went nowhere. Granted I haven't seen much of him lately, and I understand he may have improved his attack support skills.

What has happened to Oppong? I know he's pretty much untried but I think he'd be worth developing--he seemed to have a pretty intelligent distribution when I watched him with the U20s.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Oppong was with Saarbrucken last season in the Oberliga. I don't know what his status is but you can be sure that Pozniak and Klukowski are playing at a higher level.. As is Bent. Not sure who the solution is but the status quo is not attractive either.

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

I don't know about relying on Bent to distribute from the back. My concern with him was always his distribution--he was a great destroyer in a defensive mid position, but once he had the ball it typically went nowhere. Granted I haven't seen much of him lately, and I understand he may have improved his attack support skills.

What has happened to Oppong? I know he's pretty much untried but I think he'd be worth developing--he seemed to have a pretty intelligent distribution when I watched him with the U20s.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Yeah, I know Oppong wasn't at the same level as the others... I guess I was hoping that he would develop into a good prospect for the nats. Oh well, there's still time; and if not--just another Canadian soccer dream, dashed to pieces. In time I'll get used to that. :)

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Archived