Dunfield injury

N-A

Terry is to miss the first month of the 2003/2004 season after dislocating a shoulder. The injury happened whilst he was on holiday in Mexico.

This well mean we wont be seeing him in the Gold Cup

quote:Originally posted by N-A

Terry is to miss the first month of the 2003/2004 season after dislocating a shoulder. The injury happened whilst he was on holiday in Mexico.

This well mean we wont be seeing him in the Gold Cup

Truthfully, was anyone expecting to see him in the Gold Cup?

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Let’s not be too hard on poor Terry. He had a great start with Bury last year, but then ran into injury problems (shoulder dislocation).

It sounds like this must be a chronic injury...he should really focus on getting himself beeter, even if it means an operation and long layoff.

"A pretty move, for the love of God."

Eduardo Galeano

Yes he started off well, but according to all reports he lacked anything of note towards the end of the season. Yes, he suffered injuries, but this guy should not be considered for national team duty anytime soon. In my books mid-table Div.3 is not that desirable.

Still young, hopefully he can turn it around.

"Who's used all the penicillin?" "Oh Mark Paxton sir, he's got knobrot off some tart." Gareth Keenan

Guest Jeffery S.

I think Dunfield got a hard shake at Bury mostly due to their having a playing coach, Preece. The guy went a bit beserk late winter, changed a lot of things including leaving Terry out, the team faltered at the end. I think the perspective on teammates as a playing coach can be highly distorted and I just don't trust Preece's capacity for assessment. An odd situation. Terry seemed to have been scapegoated, along with a few others towards season's end.

Since Preece is likely to continue I don't think Terry has it too good at Bury this year. The club is also faced with some business probs, think there are investors pushing to buy it and that has created instability.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think Dunfield got a hard shake at Bury mostly due to their having a playing coach, Preece. The guy went a bit beserk late winter, changed a lot of things including leaving Terry out, the team faltered at the end. I think the perspective on teammates as a playing coach can be highly distorted and I just don't trust Preece's capacity for assessment. An odd situation. Terry seemed to have been scapegoated, along with a few others towards season's end.

Since Preece is likely to continue I don't think Terry has it too good at Bury this year. The club is also faced with some business probs, think there are investors pushing to buy it and that has created instability.

Interesting perspective. And you may be correct in the analysis. The impression I got from the Bury message boards was that Dunfield, after his second injury, really tailed off in his desire and drive. I wonder if it might have been a fitness issue as his previous playing had been with an abbreviated reserve squad schedule. Or perhaps the injury took some of the starch out. In any event, I didn't see a lot of clamouring for his return. On the plus side, Bury let go a lot of the team from last season. While there are a huge number of footballers looking for work in England these days, he should have a bit of an advantage there.

I think he is still a great prospect for Canada. His results at Man City and the 1st half of his tenure with Bury speak to his skill. However, he is still a way from a Canada call up. He is a play making midfielder who has beaten better looking defences than most of CONCACAF (e.g. Man United reserve squad dressing Wes Brown and O'Shea)can put on the field.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

I agree that he shouldn't be considered for national team duty just yet, but that he should still be considered a strong prospect.

There was a time not too long ago when a guy who'd apprenticed with Manchester City and was playing in the English 3rd division would have been a sure fire starter for the national team, but now look at the depth we've got in central midfield (Dunfield's position) - Stalteri, DeGuzman, Imhoff & Bent, not to mention another blue chip prospect in Atiba Hutchinson.

What I would like to see is for Dunfield to get a few matches with our U-23s in Olympic Qualifying this year.

Mike D

As I was going to mention before Mike D. did, the question for me isn't whether he will be healthy in time for the Gold Cup (as he wasn't going to be called to that anyway) but whether he will be fit for the first Olympic qualifiers, which are held in early September. Even though we are first up against the US Virgin Islands & I envision that we could send a mainly NA-based squad against that team, it would be niced to know if Dunfield will be available should he be called.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Hmm, the English 3rd division season starts in mid-August so, if Dunfield is going to miss the first month of the season and our U-23s are playing the USVI in early September, it doesn't look good. I suppose an early recovery is a possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised if his club balks at letting him go when he's just getting over an injury. I wonder if these Olympic qualifiers are on FIFA match dates?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

As I was going to mention before Mike D. did, the question for me isn't whether he will be healthy in time for the Gold Cup (as he wasn't going to be called to that anyway) but whether he will be fit for the first Olympic qualifiers, which are held in early September. Even though we are first up against the US Virgin Islands & I envision that we could send a mainly NA-based squad against that team, it would be niced to know if Dunfield will be available should he be called.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Mike D

Yes, all of the Olympic qualifiers are to be held in FIFA international dates, though those don't always apply to teams in the lower divisions.

Archived