MLS/USL/CPSL - USA & Canada 2100

Saw this other map for Soccer Expansion in North America:

http://www.soccernova.com/html/ideas/expansion.htm

Has less teams(135 teams), but seems to be more realistic in the medium to long term.

But somehow I would not be surprised if in the VERY LONG term, places like Toronto, Los Angeles, etc. went the European way and had many teams in one city.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Given that all the owners of MLS teams are in their 80s or something when they are all dead in 10 years will the MLS still be around?

Also if in 2100 we don't have our own league in Canada we should just give up on the sport.

you know, the original owners of the original 6 clubs in the National Hockey League most likely are dead. looks like the nhl is still in business haha

sorry bout tthe whole smart-ass thing, but there can be new owners....

I can see where Krammerhead was going with this...

MLS has lost over $400 million since its inception in 1995. Suppose Hunt, Kraft and Anshutz are gone, it's hard to see someone step in and take over. The only reason they've kept it going is their passion for the game. If there are other prospective billionaire owners that have a passion for soccer out there, wouldn't they already be on board?

Having said that, I don't know what the profit margins have been the last couple of years, so it's entirely possible that the $400 million figure was largely lost early on, and that's its been publicized in order to glorify the three gentlemen's commitment to the game. To summarize the thought, it's possible that the MLS has pulled in a profit in the past few seasons (although I'm only speculating).

It's hard to believe that the league would be losing money with its big name sponsorships (Pepsi, Yahoo, Budweiser, etc.), and its national tv coverage on 2 major networks (ESPN/ABC and FOX Sports)...then again, I'm no accountant.

Mimglow, Ottawa

These are the days when our work has come asunder

And these are the days when we look for something other

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

you know, the original owners of the original 6 clubs in the National Hockey League most likely are dead. looks like the nhl is still in business haha

sorry bout tthe whole smart-ass thing, but there can be new owners....

I'm glad mimglow explained it to you. If there were prospective owners out there, there wouldn't be owners owning more than one team.

The MLS wouldn't have downsized if they weren't trying to cut losses.

Archived