Greg Sutton

Crazy_Yank

I've seen his name thrown about as a potential keeper for the Canadian pool. Admittedly I haven't seen him play since his 2000 Fire debacle when he filled in for an injured Zach Thornton. To be fair he was a rookie and played at the NCAA division 3 level. Are there any Canadian Fire or Sutton fans who have followed his progress and see what aspects of his game he has improved?

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

I've seen his name thrown about as a potential keeper for the Canadian pool. Admittedly I haven't seen him play since his 2000 Fire debacle when he filled in for an injured Zach Thornton. To be fair he was a rookie and played at the NCAA division 3 level. Are there any Canadian Fire or Sutton fans who have followed his progress and see what aspects of his game he has improved?

Of course! He's in his second year with the Montreal Impact of the A-League and any Impact fan can tell you about him.

He's been, quite simply, amazing. Last year, his main weakness was his poor play on the ground (feet), but he has improved that aspect of his game tenfold since the beginning of the season.

Sutton's a big guy, 6'6, and his game reflects that. Anything in the air (such as a cross), he's on it. I haven't seen many crosses go through our box this season. Also, he's very quick, meaning that he can dive well for a shot and his range really helps him.

I see him as possibly the next Craig Forrest (similar game; see my thread on this mini-board a bit lower), and he's still a young guy.

He's definitely a keeper with some of the best statistics in the league:

11 games played, 7-2-2, 38 saves, only 7 goals against (and like 3 of those on penalties), minuscule 0.608 GAA.

He didn't get called up for the GC and depending what Holger decides to do with Onstad in the long run, we might see him during WCQ.

Here's to hoping he signs for a bigger club next season

PS: I keep hearing about his debacle at the Fire. What happened exactly?

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Sutton was the backup to Zach Thornton in 1999 and 2000 and played a handful of matches in each season. His 2000 run, when Thornton was injured, was pretty disastrous. I don't remember all the details other than Sutton let in a few bad goals that cost the team and was subsequently benched and traded. As I recall, Chicago did little better when Thornton returned to action, suggesting that Sutton was little more than a scapegoat for a bad club.

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Sutton was the backup to Zach Thornton in 1999 and 2000 and played a handful of matches in each season. His 2000 run, when Thornton was injured, was pretty disastrous. I don't remember all the details other than Sutton let in a few bad goals that cost the team and was subsequently benched and traded. As I recall, Chicago did little better when Thornton returned to action, suggesting that Sutton was little more than a scapegoat for a bad club.

Mike D

Actually your last sentence couldn't be further from the truth. Chicago have never been a bad club. In 2000 we tied Kansas City for the best record in MLS, finished 2nd in MLS Cup 2000, and won the US Open Cup. Sutton let in 4 goals in back to back games, most of which were his fault, but like I said, he was extremely inexperienced. It's interesting for me to see a former fire player making a good name for himself.

Well I didn't see the matches, so I have no idea if the goals were Sutton's fault or not. However, I do recall reading some (non-Canadian) websites at the time which basically argued that Sutton had been unfairly scapegoated.

However, I apologize for calling the Fire a bad team.

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Well I didn't see the matches, so I have no idea if the goals were Sutton's fault or not. However, I do recall reading some (non-Canadian) websites at the time which basically argued that Sutton had been unfairly scapegoated.

However, I apologize for calling the Fire a bad team.

Mike D

Actually they were a bad team at the start of the 2000 season. In both of Sutton's games, the first goal of each was due to a Sutton Blunder, however. Against KC, he was stripped of the ball by a KC forward. However, the next three, in both games, were not his fault. CJ Brown, FREX, could easily have been the scapegoat Chicago choose as well as the Chicago defence broke down repeatedly and Brown one of the main culprits. Now you could argue that the blunder's were demoralizing to Chicago, and hence effectively quitting (although they did score 2 while down 4-1 and a man short against KC). Perhaps they were a good team with a weak pysche. In any event, Sutton did put the team in a hole early - twice - and I think they had no choice but to find a more reliable keeper. Which they did.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Archived