Hooper's team ties 0-0

Hooper narrowly misses on pair of shots and Courage and Beat play to 0-0 tie

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2003/06/14/111379-ap.html

CARY, N.C. (AP) - Carolina goalkeeper Kristin Luckenbill made five saves, and Atlanta's Melanie Wilson stopped nine shots as the Courage and Beat played a 0-0 tie Saturday night.

Carolina (3-5-2), which had won two straight, was shut out for the first time this season. Danielle Fotopoulos' goal-scoring streak was snapped at five games. Atlanta (4-2-4) has scored just two goals in three games, going 0-1-2.

Carolina's best chance in the first half came in the 32nd minute, when Birgit Prinz centred a ball from her left across the 6-yard box to a wide-open Venus James, who headed the ball wide left.

Atlanta's Charmaine Hooper of Ottawa missed with a header in the 37th minute and kicked high in the 90th minute.

Both teams were missing players because of national team duties. Atlanta goalkeeper Brian Scurry and midfielder Cindy Parlow joined the U.S. women's team against Ireland in Salt Lake City, while Homare Sawa joined Japan. Carolina played without U.S. midfielder Tiffany Roberts and defender Danielle Slaton.

"It has to start somewhere

It has to start sometime

What better place than here

What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now"

Guerilla Radio - Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

I'm curious to know why Slaton and the other Americans were sent to play with the US national team while Boyd did't and won't play for Canada vs Mexico June 12th and 15th. I hope this was Pellerud's idea.

politics i bet. US Soccer wields a big stick, and unlike the CSA can easily get what they want from WUSA teams ... grrr ...

elaine

----

Go Big Red!!

http://www.gobigred.ca

Everything you need to know about Canadian Women's Soccer!!

Archived