News from Barcelona: Ignore Everything

Guest Jeffery S.

Toshack Agrees with you and more.. (From Yahoo sports)

Toshack warns Beckham of Real challenge

LONDON, June 21 (Reuters) - Former Real Madrid coach John Toshack is not convinced that the club had to sign David Beckham or that the England captain will settle easily in Spain.

"The signing doesn't make too much sense unless of course Luis Figo moves on," the Welshman, who steered Real to the Spanish title in 1990 and had another short spell with them in the late 1990s, said in an interview broadcast on Saturday.

"I think most coaches in Spain would tell you that the Real Madrid side needs strengthening in other areas," the Welshman told Sky Sports.

"The president Florentino Perez has gone in for this (sort of singing) over the last three years, Ronaldo, Figo, (Zinedine) Zidane. Unless there are one or two changes I think he might have just gone a bit too far."

Figo plays on the right of midfield for Real, the same position Beckham has occupied for Manchester United for a decade.

Toshack doubts whether Beckham, signed from United this week for 35 million euros, has the footballing and psychological armoury to do well in Spain.

"I'm not so sure that Beckham has got the character and kind of qualities to play in that central midfield role that this Madrid side needs," Toshack said.

He said the Real fans were notoriously hard to please, as Brazil striker Ronaldo found early last season following his move from Inter Milan.

"They're an unforgiving crowd you know, I mean 60 to 65,000 every week and if you hit a couple of bad passes then they'll let you know.

"You have to go to the Basque country, Pamplona, San Sebastian, Bilbao, they can be very hostile, difficult matches, Valladolid on a cold evening in December, so it's not all roses in the garden," Toshack said.

"It will be a big task for him but it's an opportunity that he has to take."

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

To be sure it is not sure Beckham will go to Barça, though Robson has come out on Friday encouraging him to do so, lauding the club. Laporta is about one point above Bassat in the latest polls before Sunday's elections (results should come in about 10 PM Sunday).

As for him going to Real Madrid, well the first thing you'd have to notice is that he plays in the same spot as Figo. Takes the same kind of free kicks, is equally mediocre defending. Like Figo he is not fast, he is not as good a dribbler and probably only just as good a crosser. In any case if Becks goes to Madrid Figo will likely be sold, I can't see one or the other on the bench.

Obviously with Madrid still in the league title race they can't be embroiled in such dealings until it is decided (perhaps tomorrow, probably next weekend). I think even Beckham will wait on that too, so I'd say that no deal will be seen until late June. In any case if they win the league, perhaps they'll feel they don't need a big media signing as a balsalm for the pain, while if they lose it the coach del Bosque could go, and Beckham would come in as their hope for a better season next year (though the Spanish Supercup and the Intercontinental is not bad, with the squad they have they certainly expected more).

Toshack Agrees with you and more.. (From Yahoo sports)

Toshack warns Beckham of Real challenge

LONDON, June 21 (Reuters) - Former Real Madrid coach John Toshack is not convinced that the club had to sign David Beckham or that the England captain will settle easily in Spain.

"The signing doesn't make too much sense unless of course Luis Figo moves on," the Welshman, who steered Real to the Spanish title in 1990 and had another short spell with them in the late 1990s, said in an interview broadcast on Saturday.

"I think most coaches in Spain would tell you that the Real Madrid side needs strengthening in other areas," the Welshman told Sky Sports.

"The president Florentino Perez has gone in for this (sort of singing) over the last three years, Ronaldo, Figo, (Zinedine) Zidane. Unless there are one or two changes I think he might have just gone a bit too far."

Figo plays on the right of midfield for Real, the same position Beckham has occupied for Manchester United for a decade.

Toshack doubts whether Beckham, signed from United this week for 35 million euros, has the footballing and psychological armoury to do well in Spain.

"I'm not so sure that Beckham has got the character and kind of qualities to play in that central midfield role that this Madrid side needs," Toshack said.

He said the Real fans were notoriously hard to please, as Brazil striker Ronaldo found early last season following his move from Inter Milan.

"They're an unforgiving crowd you know, I mean 60 to 65,000 every week and if you hit a couple of bad passes then they'll let you know.

"You have to go to the Basque country, Pamplona, San Sebastian, Bilbao, they can be very hostile, difficult matches, Valladolid on a cold evening in December, so it's not all roses in the garden," Toshack said.

"It will be a big task for him but it's an opportunity that he has to take."

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

To be sure it is not sure Beckham will go to Barça, though Robson has come out on Friday encouraging him to do so, lauding the club. Laporta is about one point above Bassat in the latest polls before Sunday's elections (results should come in about 10 PM Sunday).

As for him going to Real Madrid, well the first thing you'd have to notice is that he plays in the same spot as Figo. Takes the same kind of free kicks, is equally mediocre defending. Like Figo he is not fast, he is not as good a dribbler and probably only just as good a crosser. In any case if Becks goes to Madrid Figo will likely be sold, I can't see one or the other on the bench.

Obviously with Madrid still in the league title race they can't be embroiled in such dealings until it is decided (perhaps tomorrow, probably next weekend). I think even Beckham will wait on that too, so I'd say that no deal will be seen until late June. In any case if they win the league, perhaps they'll feel they don't need a big media signing as a balsalm for the pain, while if they lose it the coach del Bosque could go, and Beckham would come in as their hope for a better season next year (though the Spanish Supercup and the Intercontinental is not bad, with the squad they have they certainly expected more).

Archived