Postcard from Wolfsburg

Rupert

Greetings from Germany. In Wolfsburg (from base in Hannover) more than six hours before kick-off, because I have to collect my ticket soon. Very quiet town so far, no sign of any football fan activity. It is also very hot and humid, and is likely to be so at game time too.

Weekend edition of "Kicker" football magazine (published Friday) has last night´s German Cup final (Bayern Munich beat Kaiserslautern easily) as its front-page feature, not tonight´s international. When you do find tonight´s preview, the only story about Canada is a small story headlined "Osieck: Formberichte über das Internet". I´ll let you guys try and translate that!

Will try and post match report of some sort tomorrow morning, but that may have to wait until I get home to UK tomorrow evening. Auf wiedersehn...

Things aren't too much better here. The Toronto Star, which covers the Canadian National team fairly well (normally) had no preview article of today's match - even though they normally would for friendlies with a lower-profile than this one. This despite there being plenty of coverage of the Italian & German Cups (cups which noboby in Canada really care too much about). I just don't understand what goes on in the press in Canada sometimes!

However, at least the game is on national tv this time.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Well the local sports bars in Calgary were advertising the England match on June 3, 2003 with heavy promotion, with the Ship and Anchor of Calgary having a big mobile sign advertising the event. No mention of the Canada v. Germany match.

Sick. Very sick.

Archived