Idea for combing Canadian League and Open Cup

Note: this idea was originally suggested by Moosehead. I am suggesting a few variations to it.

This is the CPPL (Canadian Provincial Premiership League)

This Canada Open Cup would be played over the summer months, on the long holiday weekends. The current Challenge Cup, which was only open to senior amateur teams who won their provincial cups would now be open to CPSL and Canadian USL teams.

May (Victoria Day Weekend) : District League champions have playdowns within their own provinces.

June-July (Canada Day Weekend) : District League winner vs Provincial League Clubs

July : CPSL teams enter competition

August : Canadian USL teams(Impact, Whitecaps, Chill, etc) enter competition

September : Provincial Cup winners crowned

September - October or November : CPPL play essentially a Canadian Championship begins :

Scenario 1:

Single table:

Northern Cup Champion

Pacific Cup Champion(BC)

Rockies Cup Champion(Alberta)

Praries Cup Champion (Saskatchewan)

Gateway Cup Champion (Manitoba)

Ontario Cup Champion

Quebec Cup Champion

Atlantic Cup Champion (NB, PEI, NS, Nfld)

Each team plays a home and away series for a total of 14 games. The top 2 play one game to decide the winner.

Scenario 2:

East

Newfoundland Cup champion

Nova Scotia Cup Champion

New Brunswick/PEI Cup Champion

Quebec Cup Champion

Ontario Cup Champion

West

Gateway Cup Champion (Manitoba)

Praries Cup Champion (Saskatchewan)

Rockies Cup Champion (Alberta)

Pacific Cup Champion (BC)

Northern Cup Champion (Yukon, NWT and Nunavut)

There would be only 8 games in this scenario as the East only plays in the East, the West in the West. There would be a home and away matches between September and October and there would be a championship Eastern Winner vs Western Winner.

This would allow Canada to set up a ''National League'' and a ''National Cup'' at the same time.

Advantages:

Clubs in the CPSL and the USL would stay where they are.

The CPPL winner will play in the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

Provincial Cups and National Championships given a higher profile.

Better use of resources.

Clubs in Canada would strive to win the Treble : their provincial Cup, the CPPL and the CONCACAF Champions Cup

Would be televised

With the CPPL, only competition and winners are subsidized, NOT any particular team or league.

I open the board to debate.

Enjoy!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a bad idea... One issue I have is merging the 4 Atlantic Provinces into one rep vs. leaving SK and MB separate. Considering the seedings at the national championship in past years have seen NS & NF ranked above SK in 2001, NS & NB above SK in 2002. To cap off the point the 2003 seedings will see all 4 (NF, NS, PE & NB) ranked above SK.

Giving a spot to the north is a nice gesture but it was only last year that the Yukon sent a girls team to the nationals. It is good for the coast to coast to coast feel that the Canadian championship should have, but is it practicle?

One method I've been bouncing around is to use the long weekends for a cup style. It would look something like:

Labour Day - Final & Semi-final

Civic Day (aug) - Quarter-final & Round 5

Canada Day - Round 4 & Round 3

Victoria Day - Round 2 & Round 1

This totals 256 teams able to enter. I don't think there would be that many teams enter but who knows? The basic format is 4 teams at one host. The host would have to schedule 4 games, 2 semis and 1 winners and 1 losers game. This will help to minimize the costs and travel for amateur teams. Regionalize the first weekend but all others would be random draw. The host would also be drawn but should not host more than once during the season (unless all teams drawn have hosted also). The final could be in a pre assigned neutral site. Similar to the Grey Cup, fans could get their tickets ahead of time and go for one big party. Another use for mid size stadia. Throw a national team game into the mix and the weekend would be a smash hit!

aka JTPenney

JT Penney:

Good to hear from you. I noticed the My New CSL proposal is no longer on the web. I think we can agree about the 4 long weekends for cup play but I am just wondering :

where do you get 256 teams? I could figure provincial cup winners, provincial league winners, CPSL teams, Canadian USL clubs(Impact, Chill, Lynx, Storm, Whitecaps), that would be 45 teams, but where would the rest come from?

What would the format be? Home and away matches or a single knockout round?

Do you still favor the creation of a new CSL and woudl your concept still be the same proposal I showed it to some people who liked your idea because it had pro-rel. And would the Impact, Lynx be really willing to leave the USL, which is stable and is now offering some good competition?

quote:Originally posted by Impact supporter

where do you get 256 teams? I could figure provincial cup winners, provincial league winners, CPSL teams, Canadian USL clubs(Impact, Chill, Lynx, Storm, Whitecaps), that would be 45 teams, but where would the rest come from?

What would the format be? Home and away matches or a single knockout round?

Do you still favor the creation of a new CSL and woudl your concept still be the same proposal I showed it to some people who liked your idea because it had pro-rel. And would the Impact, Lynx be really willing to leave the USL, which is stable and is now offering some good competition?

256 teams comes from a standard draw, counting back from the final, 2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256. That is 8 rounds divided into four weekends resulting in 2 games per weekend. This of course is a max number. If we assume a 2003 cup with the 4 A-League teams entering at the '16' level it would be adjusted to be 2-4-8-16(4+12)-12-24-48-96. This still would be enough by your calc of 45. Interesting that you include the Chill but exclude the Abbotsford Rangers and Calgary Storm Prospects who are also USL teams;)probably just an oversight. The rest of theams could be runner-ups in provincial leagues or CIS team that feel they might have a shot at it. By adding the 'big' clubs earlier team may have a shot at hosting the Impact, Lynx, Storm or Whitecaps and upsetting them. Imagine the headline "Halifax King of Donair teach Impact a lesson on home turf"......sswweeeett.[8D]

Format is single knock out. Basically the draw is groups of 4 with the first team out (in each group) being the host. The other three teams travel to the host field to play a 'semi' and 'final'. Winner moves on. There would be 4 draws, one for each weekend. To make travel as fair as possible, I would limit teams to hosting only once per season (or 2).

I do still favour a CSL, but I find myself flip-flopping a bit. The USL does provide an incubator of sorts. The league is in place and appears to be getting more stable. It is multi-tiered so that teams (like the Storm) can try it out at lower levels to see if it is a good fit. Not every group we see can jump to the A-League, nor should they. I expect to see the Winnipeg Sundogs in the PDL soon. Currently the CPSL is providing the service for the Lynx but if that league doesn't get its act together, I predict that the Ottawa Wizards will jump ship to the PDL also. Either the Great Lakes or Northeast divisions should provide a decent fit. If Impact continue their popular ways, they too maybe in a position to add a development squad. If the CSA can add an open cup competition to its repetoir it will be a big step in the right diection. Getting the club teams exposed to bigger and better competition should be one of the CSA's main goals for its members. It goes beyond looking for diamonds in he rough, we are looking for tuffles without a pig!

-holy rant Batman-

Let me suggest that the stadia issues might take care of themselves. Take Montreal as an example. Leading up to 1998 the Impact are the class of the A-League but if memory serves my right they are not on the medias radar. Attendance is decent but not 10,000. They took the 1999 season off and got back in with a new system in 2000. The non-profit moniker makes the Impact a more stable organization. The team gets better and the game takes off. 2002 sees the Impact's attendance jump 146.2% (from Timber Log). Now, 2003 and the listed capacity of 8,000 at Claude Robillard is put in question after a home opener of 7,128 against an obscure Richmond Kickers team. What will they draw against Rochester, Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary? It has become an "If you come, they will build it" situation. Molson Stadium has started some impressive renovation plans that included the installation of the FIFA approved FieldTurf. Rather than building a new stadium, the Allouettes have made an agreement with McGill that should keep both sides happy. Add to that the recent anouncement that the football lines and adverts will not be as bold as they have been in the past, the CSA and Impact can raise a glass to the purists. Even though the Impact are saying they are happy with the situation at CCR, they must be excited about the potential of playing at the (currently) 19,461 seat Molson Stadium. If they fill it, heads will be turned.

*phew*

aka JTPenney

how can we contact the csa. surely there is someone we can forward our ideas on. a lot of these ideas are rough (certainly including mine) but with a panel of "experts on the canadian game" surely something could come together. as it stands the only national tournament we have is that the provincial men's/women's winners come together for a weekend tournament. problem is these aren't the best teams. i heard the nova scotia rep was just the team that could afford to come out!

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

Archived