W League

Vic

Some mid-season observations

- Some teams are just getting started and others almost done their season (games played by teams ranges from 2 to 9)

- London and Vancouver have virtually identical records (0-3-2) with 3 goals for and about the same goals against

- Quebec teams have not lost

- The league still has a wide variety of participants in terms of goals and approaches ranging from almost community organizations and players to clubs bringing in professional players

- GTA teams are .500 but exist almost purely to develop Canadian girls with a large number of quite young locals in their starting 11's...

- no one on a Canadian team is in the top 20 in points in the league

- half the top 10 leaders in fouls are on Canadian teams

- the west has a very high comparative standard of play

- the Pali/Sounders game next week could determine the team that goes to Ottawa

- we have no idea who the best team in Canada is... Caps are 0-5 and would probably be favoured by most

- all leagues need Cup play, this league could use a Canada Cup

• 3 weeks later...

Undoubtedly Pali will end up in the W-League Championship final. It's hard to say who will represent the East. DC United is still undefeated (I think, must check tonite's score) but nobody thinks that will hold up after they play NJ Wildcats & other strong teams. Having worked for Pali last summer, I gotta root for my friend & former CDN nat'l teammer-- Sasha Andrews. It'll be interesting to see who rises to the challenge in the east.

• 2 years later...

Archived