Toronto FC Alumni Team (4-2-3-1)

Derosario

The best all time TFC team a bad topic for a thread so I'll give it a go in a 4-2-3-1 without seeing what the OP did in his blog entry:

----------------------Frei

---Freeman----Attakora---Marshall-----Dunivant

-----------------Edu------JDG

---O'Brien----------Guevara-----------DeRosario

-------------------Buddle

Before anyone queries the inclusion of Buddle you could see he was a quality player when he was at TFC even if those with a hockey mentality spewed mindless abuse at him for supposed lack of effort. People always forget who did the hard bit to set up the tap in that helped turn Danny Dichio into a legend.

Many of the the rest are no brainers in my opinion but putting this together helped me realize that there has always tended to be a relative lack of quality in the back four and a black hole in quality terms on the left side of midfield. Maybe Wynne might sneak in at centre half now instead of Attakora but probably cheating given he never played that role for TFC. Thought about Laurent Robert on the left and having DeRosario on the right. Before he basically stopped trying (possibly due to outright contempt for teammates like Jeff Cunningham) there were a handful of games where Robert played very well but what happened after that is what he will be remembered for.

Although JDG has been a disappointment as a DP I think he has still been better than Robinson (way overrated by some because he knew how to use interviews effectively to become a fan favourite) was in the same sort of role. Both were overpaid for what they provided, which has been a misallocation of resources that has caused problem elsewhere.

Thanks for having a go! I know it's a bad topic but I thought it would be fun and also highlight lack of depth in some areas. I think Buddle is a great forward today as I have him on my bench, I had forgotten that he had provided the assist for Dichio on that goal, cool. Thinking about it Robert was a decent player and I would definitely have him on the left as well. Interesting choice for your lineup. I always had big hopes for O'Brien but his injury in my opinion never really allowed him to fulfill his promise even at San Jose. Marshall was decent but old "bone crusher" made many bad decisions at the back in my opinion. On a whole though I like your formation.

Dunivant gets in pretty much by default unfortunately although I guess to be fair good naturally left sided players are tougher to find because there are fewer left handed people. Might make me unpopular (it's never stopped me in the past) but I suspect Brennan very much benefited from the Canadian content regulations in hanging around as long as he did. Often the weak link by 2009 even if Garcia was getting most of the flak. A lot of people rate Cronin besides TheKottonmouthed but always seems like a jack of all trades but master of none to me in a Chris Pozniak sort of way.

Archived