Canada Basketball getting funding from MLSE

jpg75

Just read this in the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/article/877449--canada-basketball-gets-house-in-order

...O’Keefe and Pasquali are filling jobs that had long been dormant in Canada Basketball’s structure. But executive director and chief executive officer Wayne Parrish paints a relatively rosy financial picture that has allowed them to add staff.

Canada Basketball will get a grant of nearly $700,000 from a federal government team sports fund. There is a three-year, $1.5 million commitment from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, and Bell Canada is aboard as a sponsor of the senior teams.

“The quality of the family is improving,” said Maurizio Gherardini, managing director of the national men’s team programs.

There are obviously implications for Soccer, such as "Where's the money at guys?"

Note that as a result of this funding, which is not a new story, MLSE also has a spot on the Canada Basketball board of directors, care of TFC best buddy Tom Anselmi.

With the current organization of the CSA, I don't think that a similar arrangement would be possible right now, but perhaps if/when all this governance reform stuff goes through, MLSE might end up somewhere on the CSA board if it's willing to cough up the dough.

Note that as a result of this funding, which is not a new story, MLSE also has a spot on the Canada Basketball board of directors, care of TFC best buddy Tom Anselmi.

With the current organization of the CSA, I don't think that a similar arrangement would be possible right now, but perhaps if/when all this governance reform stuff goes through, MLSE might end up somewhere on the CSA board if it's willing to cough up the dough.

I think MLSE will do that if given a chance. I think they should IMO since they have been sucessful in business side of things. If there's any group out there in Canada knows how to make money in sports, it is MLSE. As long they don't make soccer decision, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Archived