Greetings from Turkey

billycanuck

Hello everyone,

just discovered this amazing website and forum. I am originally from British Columbia but just finished playing a season of pro hockey in Turkey (what an experience!). I played a season of NCAA D3 soccer to get in shape for hockey my freshmen year, but haven't been able to pick it up again. Being over here I have picked up the soccer craze and have already attended a FC Barcelona game in Barcelona and a Fenerbahce game (Istanbul club that plays in the Turkcell Super Lig). Now I am hooked and in love with this beautiful sport and want to become a member in the Canadian soccer community anyway possible. My fiancee just got accepted into Dalhousie's graduate program so we are moving to Halifax in the fall.

So my big question for the soccer community is what is the soccer scene like in Halifax and Nova Scotia? I definately want to play rec soccer, but I want to watch some live action. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum. Make sure to spread the love for our Josh Simpson who plays in the top flight there. I have interest in hockey in Europe having played all over in the early 70's but I must say you stunned me with the news that they have a pro league in Turkey.

Used to have pickup games near Dal when I spent a summer working at NRC on Oxford St (34 years ago LOL).

http://www.msmsl.com/ is 2nd div, http://www.soccerhalifax.com/ is 3rd div. I played for Saint Mary's during my BA and for DAL during law school. Check some university games. SMU - DAL games are great, and the playoffs are really exciting. The NSSL is the highest amateur league. There are some poor teams but 2-3 pretty good teams with some former pros. Playoffs are the end of Aug.

Make sure to check out Major League Soccer on T.V or youtube it sometime if you haven't seen it. Toronto FC sell out every game (20,000+), Vancouver joins next year and Montreal the year after(announcement pending) exciting times for Canadian soccer

If your looking for some pick up action, you can usually head down to the turf at SMU and Dal through out the summer and find a game...

http://www.msmsl.com/ is 2nd div, http://www.soccerhalifax.com/ is 3rd div. I played for Saint Mary's during my BA and for DAL during law school. Check some university games. SMU - DAL games are great, and the playoffs are really exciting. The NSSL is the highest amateur league. There are some poor teams but 2-3 pretty good teams with some former pros. Playoffs are the end of Aug.

Make sure to check out Major League Soccer on T.V or youtube it sometime if you haven't seen it. Toronto FC sell out every game (20,000+), Vancouver joins next year and Montreal the year after(announcement pending) exciting times for Canadian soccer

If your looking for some pick up action, you can usually head down to the turf at SMU and Dal through out the summer and find a game...

Thanks for the info! I will definately be looking to play some pick up games while I am there. I have been following the Whitecaps MLS bid since they announced it and I will definately be cheering for them when they enter the league. So there is no pro soccer in Nova Scotia? Glad to hear that TFC game are broadcasted and I will definately attend some Dalhousie games since my fiancee is now a memeber of the school :)

Cheers!

No, unfortunately there are no pro soccer teams on the east coast.. The AUS soccer games would be the closest you can get but they are all very competitive and there is some pretty decent caliber players in the mix too.

Go X Go!! haha

Hello everyone,

just discovered this amazing website and forum. I am originally from British Columbia but just finished playing a season of pro hockey in Turkey (what an experience!). I played a season of NCAA D3 soccer to get in shape for hockey my freshmen year, but haven't been able to pick it up again. Being over here I have picked up the soccer craze and have already attended a FC Barcelona game in Barcelona and a Fenerbahce game (Istanbul club that plays in the Turkcell Super Lig). Now I am hooked and in love with this beautiful sport and want to become a member in the Canadian soccer community anyway possible. My fiancee just got accepted into Dalhousie's graduate program so we are moving to Halifax in the fall.

So my big question for the soccer community is what is the soccer scene like in Halifax and Nova Scotia? I definately want to play rec soccer, but I want to watch some live action. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

If you want to associate yourself with any particular pro team, there are pro team supporter groups out there. Several of them in fact, and they serve as another method of getting involved in the soccer world of Canada.

Archived