National Futsal Team

CanucksFirst

There is no 'true' national futsal team in Canada. The CSA has cut the sport out of its budget for the last few years and there is no end to that in the future, despite what they try and promote in the LTPD book. It's a real shame as this is the only official version of indoor soccer FIFA supports and is a huge part of youth development in South America and Spain.

The last 'national team' was actually a fantastic league championship team from around the GTA that was coached by a smart Brazilian coach who was until recently the HC of the Qatar national team.

That team paid their own way to represent Canada at the Grand Prix in Brazil last year. They had asked to represent Canada at the CONCACAF Championships in Guatemala but the CSA declined. The coach for that tournament was actually Ross Ongaro, an Edmonton-based indoor soccer coach and not a futsal coach, though he is the 'official Canadian futsal coach'. Many people told me that the club owner had to pay him to go otherwise the team could not have gone.

If you want to know more about Canadian futsal check out www.futsalcanada.ca There is actually a fantastic tournament coming to the Direct Energy Centre (beside BMO Field) in January during the Toronto International Soccer Show. Alberta actualyl has a college league operating for mens and womens divisions which is pretty cool and I heard that Richmond hosted a huge futsal tournament last week. This sport has some serious legs here, and in the US, but they need to get some 'real futsal people' to take it to those next levels.

Trust me when I say there is a lot going to get this done in multiple provinces.

The consensus among the Canadian futsal community is that business intelligence should run business, soccer intelligence should run soccer, and futsal intelligence should run futsal. You can read between that ;)

Archived