Retractable Roof could be confirmed Wednesday

treetops15

David Braley of the BC Lions has called a news conference for Wednesday morning to make a major announcement. While it could be football related, I think he may present financing to confirm the Retractable Roof for both Lions and Whitecaps.

From Dr. Sport (Greg Douglas):

SCENE & HEARD: With the B.C. Lions down roughly 37,500 in attendance this season and not knowing where they will call home next year, owner David Braley refues to flinch. "When you are dealing with uncertainties it leads to speculation," he says. "Speculation is never healthy."

Braley willingly dives into the attendance matter with a non-speculative, positive stance.

"We're down roughly 2,000 in season ticket sales," he says, "but revenues from our new premier club seats have helped balance things out. I've studied the numbers and would venture to say our overall ticket sales revenues are off by no more than 10 per cent. Considering the economy and the team's slow start to the season, I see no cause for alarm."

As for the politically-infested BC Place Stadium issue, Braley is less talkative. There have been published reports that the B.C. Pavilion Corp. (PavCo) and the provincial government are hedging on their original promise to complete construction of roof repairs at BC Place Stadium in time for the Lions' 2010 CFL season. Through his league connections, Braley is aware that PavCo has quietly suggested to commissioner Mark Cohon that a temporary facility in Vancouver might have to come into play next season, perhaps the old location of Empire Stadium.

"I don't have an answer to the question about next year," Braley says. "But I do know that within the next month or so we are going to have to inform our early-bird season ticket subscribers where we'll be playing next year. That's a given."

Hamilton-based Braley will be in town next week for the Lions home game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He says he will be dropping a major announcement on the predators from the media Wednesday morning. He suggests that no one speculates because, as his theory goes, "speculation is never healthy."

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

The key with Braley are his first words:

"When you are dealing with uncertainties it leads to speculation," he says. "Speculation is never healthy."

Once again, this article is just speculation.

Bill, but it would be so much more fun to waste many mega-pixels of Internet space over the next four days, running the gamut of emotion from elation to despair, all on the basis of wild rumours that will turn out not to be true.

I'll bet you're someone who also sticks to his budget, rather than blowing the wad renting a Maserati for the month. :D

For what it's worth, I speculate that Braley's going to announce that the Lions will be playing their home games next year in Terrace.

quote:Originally posted by treetops15

David Braley of the BC Lions has called a news conference for Wednesday morning to make a major announcement. While it could be football related, I think he may present financing to confirm the Retractable Roof for both Lions and Whitecaps.

From Dr. Sport (Greg Douglas):

SCENE & HEARD: With the B.C. Lions down roughly 37,500 in attendance this season and not knowing where they will call home next year, owner David Braley refues to flinch. "When you are dealing with uncertainties it leads to speculation," he says. "Speculation is never healthy."

Braley willingly dives into the attendance matter with a non-speculative, positive stance.

"We're down roughly 2,000 in season ticket sales," he says, "but revenues from our new premier club seats have helped balance things out. I've studied the numbers and would venture to say our overall ticket sales revenues are off by no more than 10 per cent. Considering the economy and the team's slow start to the season, I see no cause for alarm."

As for the politically-infested BC Place Stadium issue, Braley is less talkative. There have been published reports that the B.C. Pavilion Corp. (PavCo) and the provincial government are hedging on their original promise to complete construction of roof repairs at BC Place Stadium in time for the Lions' 2010 CFL season. Through his league connections, Braley is aware that PavCo has quietly suggested to commissioner Mark Cohon that a temporary facility in Vancouver might have to come into play next season, perhaps the old location of Empire Stadium.

"I don't have an answer to the question about next year," Braley says. "But I do know that within the next month or so we are going to have to inform our early-bird season ticket subscribers where we'll be playing next year. That's a given."

Hamilton-based Braley will be in town next week for the Lions home game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He says he will be dropping a major announcement on the predators from the media Wednesday morning. He suggests that no one speculates because, as his theory goes, "speculation is never healthy."

Oh look, Spiral changed his name again, and made an enormous leap from A to B with regards to the roof.

Archived