Ottawa Wizards

Why is it that the Ottawa Wizards folded? They had a good final season. 13 - 0 - 5. Undefeated.

Did the franchise end due to lack of financing?

Where was their home stadium? I read somewhere that it was in Carp? (near Ottawa)

What sort of crowds did they draw?

What was the quality of play like?

Anyone go to any games?

the wizards folded because the owner had no idea on how to run a club. he thought his money was all he needed. he wanted to be the manager, coach, trainer, tactician, and at times he even thought he could play. but the relationship with the league and his own players and staff went sour anytime anyone spoke out against his ridiculous ideas. and when he was wrong he tried to strongarm people using his money. the main reason for the wizard's success were the import players, who combined, had lots of international experience and a good group of hard working local guys. The owner can be credited with financing the project but can also be credited with its demise.

home stadium was at the OZ dome in Carp, which was first class

crowds varied between 500-1000 for home games 50-300 for away games

the wizard's definetly raised the standard of play to the point where the top 3 teams in the CPSL(supra, wizards, olypians) could have easily competed in mid table a-league(USL Div1)

This is still the main problem for the growth of soccer in our country. Owners who've never been pro players or even been part of a professional soccer organization, get involved because of their money, their experience on business (none related to soccer of course) or they have a hiding agenda, then the project becomes an outlet to show that they were worthy of a chance as pro players when they were young or they're going to show everybody else how is done or they want their name in some meaningless hall of fame in some provincial association or even my son deserved better and coaches are idiots for not recognizing my son's talent so I will pay off some people so my son can said he played soccer at a semi-pro level, etc.....

These people harm the sport more than they can imagine or care for (it's all about me me me). Many of them are still involve with the CSL and I believe that's the main reason why this league doesn't grow properly. None of them cares about the sport and that's why the Ottawa Wizards folded as well as many other clubs did in the extinct NSL and CPSL and they will still disappeared from the present CSL too.

For what I've been hearing this is the case in BC too but I'm sure this is the case all over Canada.

A simple explanation comes to mind, results don't count in our country and there are no consequences for failure because there's not big money in play.

These problems will remain the order of the day for as long as entry into the CSL is based on the ability of a rich investor to pay the expansion fee for a franchise rather than on the promotion of well run soccer clubs that have won a lower division title with existing teams that have done badly on the field of play heading in the opposite direction.

This might be a bit off-topic but how are the Ottawa Fury doing? I see plenty of excitement around the Victoria Highlanders' new franchise and FC London (they have supporters groups starting up already it seems). What's the situation for the Fury? Average attendance? Atmosphere at games? Is there a supporters group?

quote:Originally posted by Kurt-MTL

This might be a bit off-topic but how are the Ottawa Fury doing? I see plenty of excitement around the Victoria Highlanders' new franchise and FC London (they have supporters groups starting up already it seems). What's the situation for the Fury? Average attendance? Atmosphere at games? Is there a supporters group?

The manager of the men's team I'm playing on in the Spring League is Turkish and knew the owner of the Ottawa Fury quite well (also Turkish). He says the team brought in a couple guys from Fenerbahce (18 year olds who had yet to break into the First Team). And they dominated the league. They went 13 - 0 -8.

It came down to the owner missing his league payments and a nasty legal battle ensued (still in the courts apparently).

I hope they come back. I think that's awesome. Their record was stunning. And they managed to pull 1500 - 2000 fans to games apparently.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

The manager of the men's team I'm playing on in the Spring League is Turkish and knew the owner of the Ottawa Fury quite well (also Turkish). He says the team brought in a couple guys from Fenerbahce (18 year olds who had yet to break into the First Team. The Fury owner had these connections). And they dominated the league. They went 13 - 0 -8.

It came down to the owner missing his league payments and a nasty legal battle ensued (still in the courts apparently).

I hope they come back. I think that's awesome. Their record was stunning. And they managed to pull 1500 - 2000 fans to games apparently.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

The manager of the men's team I'm playing on in the Spring League is Turkish and knew the owner of the Ottawa Fury quite well (also Turkish).

Just point of clarification the former owner of the Wizards is of Turkish background. The owner of the Fury is and always will be Welsh.;)

Well, according to Wikipedia the average attendance at Fury games is just over 300, which I suppose is average for a PDL team. Apparently they had a good season last year and just barely missed out on the playoffs. Still, the Wiki article didn't mention whether there was an actual supporters group (neither does the Fury homepage). Reason I ask is because I was considering going to a few games given that I might be spending some time in the area come summer.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Just point of clarification the former owner of the Wizards is of Turkish background. The owner of the Fury is and always will be Welsh.;)

Sorry that one flew right by me. I've scrimmaged with some Fury players. They play some good football. I have to get out to some games this season.

ottawaguy2009 - the owner of the wizards is turkish and he did bring in a couple guys from turkey, associated with fenerbache through the youth ranks, but only 1 managed to have a small impact in 1 of the 3 seasons. they were all discarded and sent back to turkey. the national teams that were represented on the wizards were;

2 from malawi senior national team(including their captain peter mponda and mac yobe)

2 from Burkina Faso(urbain some still plays in ottawa, sabrahima traore was the goalkeeper

5 or 6 players had experience with the trinidad and tobago national team at different levels with shurland david playing close to 40 caps with the senior team, and guys like keving nelson, richard goddard, roger groome, robin hart, ashley mcmillian who all had stints with the u23 team.

3rd season saw simon eaddy who played for and in new zealand and also was at the 2008 olympics ass. coaching the womens national team

then the local guys like kwame telemaque, danny sanna, abe ozman, and a few others rounded off a well balanced and experienced squad. imagine 8 national team players one 1 team in the CPSL. thats why in 3 seasons they won the league 3 times, league cup twice, rogers cup once. the 3rd season finished with some turmoil and the team boycotted the league and rogers cups

quote:Originally posted by THE_TRUTH

ottawaguy2009 - the owner of the wizards is turkish and he did bring in a couple guys from turkey, associated with fenerbache through the youth ranks, but only 1 managed to have a small impact in 1 of the 3 seasons. they were all discarded and sent back to turkey. the national teams that were represented on the wizards were;

2 from malawi senior national team(including their captain peter mponda and mac yobe)

2 from Burkina Faso(urbain some still plays in ottawa, sabrahima traore was the goalkeeper

5 or 6 players had experience with the trinidad and tobago national team at different levels with shurland david playing close to 40 caps with the senior team, and guys like keving nelson, richard goddard, roger groome, robin hart, ashley mcmillian who all had stints with the u23 team.

3rd season saw simon eaddy who played for and in new zealand and also was at the 2008 olympics ass. coaching the womens national team

then the local guys like kwame telemaque, danny sanna, abe ozman, and a few others rounded off a well balanced and experienced squad. imagine 8 national team players one 1 team in the CPSL. thats why in 3 seasons they won the league 3 times, league cup twice, rogers cup once. the 3rd season finished with some turmoil and the team boycotted the league and rogers cups

I wish they were still around.

• 9 years later...

Some memorable matches for me...

Ottawa Wizards vs Morocco (Francophone Games team).  This match finished 1-1 I think, and I remember it being very physical.

Ottawa Wizards vs Charlotte Eagles

Ottawa Wizards vs University of Louisville (Ottawa was down 4-1 at HT and came back to win 5-4)

I still can remember most of the players.  For me, it was the best time supporting a Canadian club.

Archived