Three TFCers Called Into U.S. Camp

Bill Ault

Well, it looks like everyone is up late tonight eh?

I have given up on alot of the TFC-bashers, but I do think that TFC could have done better with their Canadians. Part of the problem is that there are only so many players out there that are both MLS-quality and MLS-affordable. Many of the USLers, as well as the JDG1/Hutch type, are out of the MLS spectrum. The other problems are that there is little transfer money for MLS clubs, with very few who are available on a Bosman or low-transfer in any single transfer window, so it will take time before all of Canada's Europe-based players can even be approached with a realistic offer. The final problem is that MoJo is not the best judge of talent, and his scouting files consist of a list of Maclean's clients. I hope that Colin Miller comes in to help. Even Paul James could be given a few bucks to do some scouting work and help the kids at the academy.

I have always believed that TFC's biggest contribution to Canadian soccer would be it's academy. The next best contributions are the Dev roster to give our U-20s a job/playing time and the instilling in kids who play soccer the belief that they can be pros one day and don't have to quit at 18, or even earlier to focus on hockey or basketball.

The senior team is less important because apart from friendlies with NA-based squads only, MLS-level players will be a minority in full MNT squads. At the moment, TFC has ~1.5 MNT players (Brennan and maybe Sutton), while LA has about the same (maybe for both Jazic and Harmse), and Houston is ahead (Definitely DeRo, and at the moment, I'll take Onstad to back-up Lars).

The fact is, if Canada is to go to a World Cup, then the majority of the starting XI has to be Europe-based as MLS is not quite good enough (DeRo an exception). MLS is fine for NA-based friendlies, and for squad depth, but even then, you are currently looking as much to LA and Houston as you are to Toronto for players. Even Dallas (Serioux)and San Jose (Poz - damn draft) have somewhat useful utility players who can provide depth off the bench in an emergency.

As for the Whitecaps, the onslaught of Americans did not just coincide with the rule-change, but also with having an American coach. I hope that a coaching change will lead to a reappraisal of the current squad, and hopefully more spots for young Canadians.

Archived