Rock Bottom

DJones

I can honestly say that I'm happy we finally hit 'rock bottom' after all this time coming close to it. The reasons why? We can't get much lower than we are now and it can only get better from here!

I'm happy because this type of analysis has been much needed for a long, long time (since 1986) and blips like the 2000 Gold Cup, WNT successes and such... have glossed over the real problems that plague our wonderful sport in this country and goes much deeper than the diabolical travesties at the CSA. We should be better than we are and now, thanks to sites like this and a media window that has been slightly opened; we now have the opportunity to make drastic changes to our national association and our provincial associations.

We, in Canada, are regionalistic (sp) minded on most items (due to the size of the place) and especially when it comes to our sport. Being from Vancouver, I know more about what goes on soccer wise in Washington State than I do about Alberta or any other province. I assume that the other provinces are just as messed up as ours is and that radical changes must be made.

Am I right to assume that?

If I am wrong, I would really like to know because I would hate to lump every provincial association into the same hat. One thing we have in common is we do seem to send the same type of volunteer/representatives to the CSA to vote on soccer matters in this country.

There are things that we do well but there is some really poor thing that can no longer be tolerated if we are to produce better players.

Here is a really good letter from another website that sums up the predicament in BC and how I generally feel.

'>http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-letters-2007/letter-elmes-aug-31.htm

Is it the same in other regions of Canada? Is it time to follow another model and disband the constricting parameters the provincial and national associations put on our developmental clubs? Are provincial teams that restrict club teams from traveling due to taking top players from club teams during tournament season and post boundaries on where parents can register their child, archaic and behind the times? The US thinks so!

quote:Originally posted by DJones

I can honestly say that I'm happy we finally hit 'rock bottom' after all this time coming close to it. The reasons why? We can't get much lower than we are now and it can only get better from here!

I'm happy because this type of analysis has been much needed for a long, long time (since 1986) and blips like the 2000 Gold Cup, WNT successes and such... have glossed over the real problems that plague our wonderful sport in this country and goes much deeper than the diabolical travesties at the CSA. We should be better than we are and now, thanks to sites like this and a media window that has been slightly opened; we now have the opportunity to make drastic changes to our national association and our provincial associations.

We, in Canada, are regionalistic (sp) minded on most items (due to the size of the place) and especially when it comes to our sport. Being from Vancouver, I know more about what goes on soccer wise in Washington State than I do about Alberta or any other province. I assume that the other provinces are just as messed up as ours is and that radical changes must be made.

Am I right to assume that?

If I am wrong, I would really like to know because I would hate to lump every provincial association into the same hat. One thing we have in common is we do seem to send the same type of volunteer/representatives to the CSA to vote on soccer matters in this country.

There are things that we do well but there is some really poor thing that can no longer be tolerated if we are to produce better players.

Here is a really good letter from another website that sums up the predicament in BC and how I generally feel.

'>http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-letters-2007/letter-elmes-aug-31.htm

Is it the same in other regions of Canada? Is it time to follow another model and disband the constricting parameters the provincial and national associations put on our developmental clubs? Are provincial teams that restrict club teams from traveling due to taking top players from club teams during tournament season and post boundaries on where parents can register their child, archaic and behind the times? The US thinks so!

The letter is fundamentally correct.... we laden our programs with rules driven by mis understanding of what FAIR is ... we have rules for recreational soccer applied to what we hope will be elite development.

The bottom line is no provincail assocaition has it right regarding the game structure, some clubs do ..and the CSA is lost.

My only quibble is the idea its the top 15%, the reality is the top 5% should at any age be described as competitive ..elite what ever..unfortunately to many moms and dads what Mary or Mario to play elite, gold, premier, what ever the name ...so the local associations expand competitive registrations.. and in Ontario that means more money for Jimmy ( one foot ) Canovan and the OSA ..so they dont restrict it ...hence, no competitive funnel to create the best envioronments to produce elite athletes who play soccer.

But you have it right ... we are a recreational program.

Archived