CSA: What change is needed (& how do we do it)??

L.T.

The CSA has yet to come to the conclusion that was essentially forced upon the USSF a while back - the realization that a soccer monopoly does not work.

This type of monopoly breeds complacency, insularity, empire-building, cronyism and general mediocrity. If there is only one 'chain of command' entrusted with developing the game, then it will fail. Evolution shows us that the ability to mutate is what has kept life going all these millions of years. But with the CSA, nothing is allowed to mutate. As soon as something new pops up and tries to 'stand upright' it has its legs cut out from underneath.

The US realized that and a while back a number of competing organizations started popping up to take their crack at moving the game forward. They were helped by a climate that is polar opposite to ours whereby a new organization was able to legitimize itself by demonstrating that it could meeting the requirements laid out by the USSF, and not through the political whim of a volunteer parent.

As a result, we've seen organizations like US Club Soccer and the USL Super Y pop up and provide a jolt to the State Associations.

Now, these new groups are by no means heralded as the saviours of US Soccer, but as a result of competition being introduced into the system, the state associations had to get their acts together in order to maintain their influence on the game. So what they end up with is an ever-improving ODP program, a National Youth League, Elite residency programs, pro team academies and now a Nationwide US Development Academy aimed at bringing the top 1000 or so 16 to 18 year old players together in a controlled, development-focused environment.

And what do we have? National and provincial associations with a mandate to govern all soccer in the country while at the same time neglecting and/or downright opposing significant chunks of the game (i.e. soccer schools and academies, high School & elementary school soccer, the CSL, ethnic leagues...), all in an effort to maintain the status quo.

To wit, Canada Club Soccer, a new organization with a mandate to "To represent and serve the needs of soccer clubs in Canada, to articulate views and positions on behalf of its member clubs and to work in concert with governing bodies to foster the growth and development of soccer throughout Canada" recently head its first general meeting in Toronto. Groups from BC, Alberta & Ontario were represented although one group from Alberta (either Calgary or Edmonton, can't remember which) backed out at the last minute due to pressures from their District Association. I wish someone could explain to me what they are afraid of, other than FEAR OF CHANGE.

Finally, one of my few dealings with the CSA is through my position as commissioner of Soccer Academy Alliance Canada - a new, and as of yet still unsanctioned by either the CSA or any provincial association (our motto: Two & half years and still waiting...). Our organization represents private soccer academies in Ontario & BC that are looking to expand into full time player development based on the European Academy Model.

We applied for associate membership with the CSA, given that their only requirement was that it "be open to all properly constituted operating... on a national basis to promote the game of soccer...". Feeling our organization met this (Being 'national' is not defined, but the USSF defines it as operating in at least 3 states, so two provinces sounded about right).

Well, last year we were rejected via a form letter from Mr. Pipe and have reapplied this year and did not even receive the courtesy of a response. There has been no effort to:

- Respond to the information package submitted with our application

- Respond to any request for opening lines of communication between us and the CSA board

- Address the application on its merit (those that study our philosophy will see that it has much in common with the Model currently being introduced by the USSF)

What is the only reaction we have seen? At the meeting where they were supposed to table our application they ignored it and instead discussed (can't confirm if it was passed because they don't publish anything) an amendment to the constitution stating that organizations have to operate in at least SIX provinces to apply for associate membership.

So, overall a fairly insignificant blip on the soccer landscape, but just another example of what we are up against when it come to affecting change at the CSA.

Regardless, we are pushing forward and thriving, so this is my small part to try and shift the tide – what else can be done?

Cheers,

Lino Terra, Commissioner

Soccer Academy Alliance Canada

www.academysoccer.ca

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

The CSA has yet to come to the conclusion that was essentially forced upon the USSF a while back - the realization that a soccer monopoly does not work.

This type of monopoly breeds complacency, insularity, empire-building, cronyism and general mediocrity. If there is only one 'chain of command' entrusted with developing the game, then it will fail. Evolution shows us that the ability to mutate is what has kept life going all these millions of years. But with the CSA, nothing is allowed to mutate. As soon as something new pops up and tries to 'stand upright' it has its legs cut out from underneath.

The US realized that and a while back a number of competing organizations started popping up to take their crack at moving the game forward. They were helped by a climate that is polar opposite to ours whereby a new organization was able to legitimize itself by demonstrating that it could meeting the requirements laid out by the USSF, and not through the political whim of a volunteer parent.

As a result, we've seen organizations like US Club Soccer and the USL Super Y pop up and provide a jolt to the State Associations.

Now, these new groups are by no means heralded as the saviours of US Soccer, but as a result of competition being introduced into the system, the state associations had to get their acts together in order to maintain their influence on the game. So what they end up with is an ever-improving ODP program, a National Youth League, Elite residency programs, pro team academies and now a Nationwide US Development Academy aimed at bringing the top 1000 or so 16 to 18 year old players together in a controlled, development-focused environment.

And what do we have? National and provincial associations with a mandate to govern all soccer in the country while at the same time neglecting and/or downright opposing significant chunks of the game (i.e. soccer schools and academies, high School & elementary school soccer, the CSL, ethnic leagues...), all in an effort to maintain the status quo.

To wit, Canada Club Soccer, a new organization with a mandate to "To represent and serve the needs of soccer clubs in Canada, to articulate views and positions on behalf of its member clubs and to work in concert with governing bodies to foster the growth and development of soccer throughout Canada" recently head its first general meeting in Toronto. Groups from BC, Alberta & Ontario were represented although one group from Alberta (either Calgary or Edmonton, can't remember which) backed out at the last minute due to pressures from their District Association. I wish someone could explain to me what they are afraid of, other than FEAR OF CHANGE.

Finally, one of my few dealings with the CSA is through my position as commissioner of Soccer Academy Alliance Canada - a new, and as of yet still unsanctioned by either the CSA or any provincial association (our motto: Two & half years and still waiting...). Our organization represents private soccer academies in Ontario & BC that are looking to expand into full time player development based on the European Academy Model.

We applied for associate membership with the CSA, given that their only requirement was that it "be open to all properly constituted operating... on a national basis to promote the game of soccer...". Feeling our organization met this (Being 'national' is not defined, but the USSF defines it as operating in at least 3 states, so two provinces sounded about right).

Well, last year we were rejected via a form letter from Mr. Pipe and have reapplied this year and did not even receive the courtesy of a response. There has been no effort to:

- Respond to the information package submitted with our application

- Respond to any request for opening lines of communication between us and the CSA board

- Address the application on its merit (those that study our philosophy will see that it has much in common with the Model currently being introduced by the USSF)

What is the only reaction we have seen? At the meeting where they were supposed to table our application they ignored it and instead discussed (can't confirm if it was passed because they don't publish anything) an amendment to the constitution stating that organizations have to operate in at least SIX provinces to apply for associate membership.

So, overall a fairly insignificant blip on the soccer landscape, but just another example of what we are up against when it come to affecting change at the CSA.

Regardless, we are pushing forward and thriving, so this is my small part to try and shift the tide – what else can be done?

Cheers,

Lino Terra, Commissioner

Soccer Academy Alliance Canada

www.academysoccer.ca

Good luck Lino. I really like your motto!

db

Archived