FIFA - 2006 Financial Report

The Ref

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CANADIAN SOCCER ASSOCIATION

June 4, 2007 - Neil W. Humphrey, Board Member Richmond Girls Soccer Association

Board of Directors of the Canadian Soccer Association,

http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-letters-2007/letter-humphrey-jun-04.htm

Like many members, I have been following the struggles of the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) for sometime now & the media impact it has on Youth & Senior Members alike.

I am greatly concerned that as the largest National Sporting Organization (NSO) in membership in Canada that there are so many problems with the CSA in creating a program for the benefit & development of the Members.

The above is even more concerning when over the past year plus the CSA has been without a Technical Director, National Men's Coach and more importantly a Executive Director/CEO. What goes on at the CSA impacts directly or through the media the enjoyment & development of the Members whether they are youth, senior, professional or national level players.

To date there have been numerous articles in the media about CSA woes as a NSO. Recent articles in the Toronto Star have asked some interesting questions which finally prompted me to write about my concerns:

Where's our women's soccer club?

Governing body accused of abandoning team despite past successes by Randy Starkman -

Canadian women deserve more respect

by Carrie Serwetnyk

My concerns are:

1. Gender Equity spending in our national team soccer programs based upon CSA membership numbers of 43% female - 57% male. Why the Men's National Team program is getting more CSA staff time, funding, sponsorship opportunities & etc seems very out of step based on these membership numbers & the times we live in of gender equality. Spending on NSO programs should be based on the gender equality of membership contributions & nothing else.

Thankfully the Women's National Program have individual's like Greg Kerfoot & the Vancouver Whitecaps who have contributed heavily to support the Women's National Team Program. A program that continues to out perform the men's program although under funded by the CSA. And a program that has given many female youth players soccer opportunities & role models throughout Canada .

2. When are the CSA's current Financials or Financial Reporting available for public distribution? The most recent financials are 2003 on the CSA web site.

I have asked through my Provincial Sporting Organization (PSO) the BC Soccer Association (BCSA) 2 times via cc'ed E-mail's to CSA to obtain up to date financials & gotten no response. Also, I have sent a Email to CSA as well & got no response as well.

As a Member of the CSA I feel having access to the CSA financials on a yearly basis is reasonable as after all my club, my youth district & PSO are required to publish them. Also as a NSO, the CSA is partially funded by Sports Canada & should have timely disclosure & distribution of their financials to the public. I've looked at other NSO's web sites & they do so I don't understand why the CSA does not.

In closing, I appreciate the work as a NSO the CSA does & the success the players have in a large part because of their personal sacrifices & commitments. In moving forward as a NSO, I feel it's time to review via an outside committee whether the needs & expectations of the membership of the CSA are being met on a timely & appropriate basis. I feel this is very important when 85% of the CSA's membership are youth which are the future of the sport & of Canada.

Thank you,

Neil W. Humphrey

Board Member Richmond Girls Soccer Association

Editor: The BC Soccer Web invites contributions from readers. All submissions received will be considered for publication but may be edited for style, spelling or grammar and may be abbreviated at the sole discretion of the Editor. Emails to the Editor may be published unless the sender expressly requests otherwise.

Archived