Just Canadian Advice?

There are so many leagues, national and regional, amatuer and pro, I'm having a hard time figuring out north american soccer. Specifically the Canadian leagues (e.g. CSL, Pacific League, etc.) and if they are amatuer or pro and how they all fit together and where the USL and MLS fit as well.

Does anyone have a hierarchy chart of this?

since most of these leagues are independent of each other, I doubt that a formal chart exists. Here's what I know:

The one example of multiple leagues under one umbrella is USL, there structure is:

USL1

USL2

PDL

MLS is separate from USL, but is usually superior, so everyone ranks them above USL1 and at the top of the North American chain. How the CSL (formerly CPSL) would rank is hard to say, but generally below USL1. Perhaps comparable to USL2, but since there are no USL2 teams in Canada, I'm unaware of any matchups between the two. I'm guessing that the better amateur teams will match or even beat PDL, and occasionally USL2/CSL. Those in the West and East will claim that their regional leagues are just as good as the CSL. I don't know anything about them, so I'll leave them out for now.

So, accounting for alot of overlap, my best guess is:

MLS

USL1

USL2/CSL

PDL/better amateur teams

since most of these leagues are independent of each other, I doubt that a formal chart exists. Here's what I know:

The one example of multiple leagues under one umbrella is USL, there structure is:

USL1

USL2

PDL

MLS is separate from USL, but is usually superior, so everyone ranks them above USL1 and at the top of the North American chain. How the CSL (formerly CPSL) would rank is hard to say, but generally below USL1. Perhaps comparable to USL2, but since there are no USL2 teams in Canada, I'm unaware of any matchups between the two. I'm guessing that the better amateur teams will match or even beat PDL, and occasionally USL2/CSL. Those in the West and East will claim that their regional leagues are just as good as the CSL. I don't know anything about them, so I'll leave them out for now.

So, accounting for alot of overlap, my best guess is:

MLS

USL1

USL2/CSL

PDL/better amateur teams

Now, what if we were to do this for ALL of North America (and not just the two largest gringo countries).

I'd assume that the top tier in Mexico trumps MLS, and that the quality in the leagues in Costa Rica and Honduras etc are essentially equivalent to that of USL1.

Any additional thoughts on this?

I'm not sure. I'm interested in finding out who are the top clubs in Ontario(specifically in the Greater Toronto area(GTA)) playing in the top leagues. I'm assuming they must be in order of best league to worst (including their GTA teams)

1. MLS (Toronto FC)- beginning 2007

2. USL (Toronto Lynx)

3. CSL (there are a number of teams in the GTA but since I live in Brampton I'll only list the Brampton Stallions)

I am ultimately interested in approaching these clubs for a tryout(even though this may be an unorthadox approach). I have contacted the Brampton Stallions and they have agreed to give me a tryout. I know the Lynx accept applications for player tryouts but what about Toronto FC. How does someone request a tryout without an agent? Or is that the only way to contact Toronto FC for player tryouts? or will they just draft players?

First off, it is hard enough to rank the leagues in Canada - there is not enough information or knowledge to have any chance of rating all the CONCACAF leagues. If the CONCACAF Champions League ever takes off, then after a few years you will have something tangible to work with.

As for tryouts with Toronto FC, since they do not have a manager or any kind of scouting/coaching staff yet, it's just not possible. Just a guess, but I imagine it will be atleast January/Febuary before they are ready for tryouts. MLS rules are tricky, but if you were to approach them in early 2007 (better find a winter indoor league) and impress, then they could probably just claim you as a "discovery" player.

Now we're (I'm) getting off topic but do you know of a good indoor league in the GTA that has access to player scouts and the like?

I'm basically looking for advice on what League is the best to play for if you have a choice. I'm assuming since MLS is a step above USL and also has a higher payroll allowance, then MLS is the league to be in (in relation to Canada and the US)..but I guess if a USL team is willing to pay more for your talent than an MLS team then maybe USL is the place to be. Do you see what I'm getting at? I guess I'm looking for the league that has the highest payroll average but also has access to international scouts.

quote:Originally posted by GoalScorer

Now we're (I'm) getting off topic but do you know of a good indoor league in the GTA that has access to player scouts and the like?

Well, you started this thread, so you can change topic if you want. I think you're allowed to hijack your own thread!:D

quote:I'm basically looking for advice on what League is the best to play for if you have a choice. I'm assuming since MLS is a step above USL and also has a higher payroll allowance, then MLS is the league to be in (in relation to Canada and the US)..but I guess if a USL team is willing to pay more for your talent than an MLS team then maybe USL is the place to be. Do you see what I'm getting at? I guess I'm looking for the league that has the highest payroll average but also has access to international scouts.

Ok, well, not to be rude, but can you give us some idea of your level of ability (age/skill level/previous leagues played in)? Yes MLS is the top league (although some USL1 teams like the Montreal Impact and Rochester Rhinos will occassionally offer some players more than MLS), but none of this matters if you suck. Unless you're really good, it may turn out that a CSL or even PDL team is more your level. So, what skill level and experience do you have?

If you are looking to play now, then just contact the Lynx and ask to speak to the coach about trying out. The pay will be low, assuming that they can still sign players for this year, but you will be a pro player and in a position to be looked at by scouts from MLS teams - especially Toronto FC once they have a staff. If you are a Canadian citizen, then I would contact the National Training Centre in Vaughn (see the CSA website) and try to impress the coaches there. For winter training indoors, I would again go to the big complex in Vaughn.

That sounds like really good advice. As for my skill level, I feel that I'm good enough to play pro and even better than some of the pros playing now. I'm no longer in my 20s but that's all I'll say for now until I actually have a tryout with a pro team....you never know I might just suck compared to the pros (but I and others I know don't think so) so I don't want to shoot my mouth off. Maybe I'll provide an update as things progress.

You can't get there if you don't try. Thanks.

Archived