Training Future National Team Players

terpfan68

I have just finished reading a very interesting article on the BBC Football website bemoaning the lack of training youth in England recieve compared with their counterparts on the continent. I would be interested in knowing what the comparable number of hours Canada's youth (boys and girls) spend in training. Please read the article and respond.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5148730.stm

Thanks

My experience is that youth in BC train on average 2-3 times per week, with one game on a weekend. There are some players, but not many, who practice 4 times a week, and that includes training with private soccer schools and club academies. There are also recreational players who only practice once a week.

The situation may be different in other Provinces where they cannot train outdoors in the winter.

The following website address is from an paper written by Dr. Istvan Balyi, who holds a PhD in Sports Planning and has been working for Sport BC. He recommends that children aged 11-14 practice 3-4 times a week to become elite athletes and older youth should practice 6 or 7 times a week.

www.coach.ca/rfp/june2005/ documents/ALTD_information.doc

even with 3 practices a week. that is only 6 hours a week on a ball in an educational environment. ignore matches. you don't learn new skills, only gain experience to enhance the skills you possess.

players need to learn to play on their own time a minimum 2-3 hours a day - just juggling, playing with the neighbours or dad. whathaveyou.

to develop top players in this country a player must train 4 days a week, with specific notice taken of required rest, and focus being on ball work.

Archived