Supra to last season?

Pendrith

The Toronto Portuguese Supra are having a terrible time drawing fans to their games this season. They haven't drawn 50 people to any of their home games this yearand their management is in shambles. Their home field at Brockton Stadium is in terrible shape as the field is used every night and on weekends by numerous teams and no proper maintenace is maintained thanks to the poor management of ACAPO who manages the Stadium.

I don't see the Supra surviving to the end of the season. Are there any other teams that are in danger of folding this year? The only two teams left standing at the end of the season might be Windsor and Serbian White Eagles. I don't see this league operating next year.

Pendrith - the CPSL has been surviving with attendances of 20-100 for almost 10 years... I'm sure most (if not all) of this year's teams will be around next year.

What I'm trying to say is that these problems are not new ones...

You can't just add some "ethnic" name and expect people to show up. It still has to be run like a professional organization. For example, the Serbs had a press conference which I'm sure got a lot of coverage in the Serbian community media, and they even had a little write-up in the Toronto Sun. I don't recall any other teams doing even something as small as a press conference.

They had an amazing opportunity this year where all 5 CSL ethnic teams had the old-country in the World Cup and they didn't take advantage of it.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Pendrith - the CPSL has been surviving with attendances of 20-100 for almost 10 years... I'm sure most (if not all) of this year's teams will be around next year.

What I'm trying to say is that these problems are not new ones...

I guess the question is whether Supra splashed out money recruiting players. I think White Eagles did, or am I mistaken? Maybe I'm just remembering a post saying they were bringing players over from Serbia, and I assumed that would cost. But yeah, if it's business as usual for Supra, I can't see 50 a game meaning much to their bottom line.

Archived