Porto at Roger's Centre?

beachesl

Topic

john tv

Pickering

231 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 : 17:01:22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to have read that they are playing tonight,but I have not seen a thing about it anywhere.The funny part is I should know.

Metro

Toronto

Canada

289 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 : 17:06:35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may be thinking about the Sporting Lisbon-Santos match and it's taking place tonight. The FAN 590 were reminding its listeners on their 20/20 updates during this afternoon when I was listening.

dbailey62

333 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 : 17:24:13

quote:

Originally posted by Metro

You may be thinking about the Sporting Lisbon-Santos match and it's taking place tonight. The FAN 590 were reminding its listeners on their 20/20 updates during this afternoon when I was listening.

Quite a few commercials on the Fan too.

db

john tv

Pickering

231 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 : 17:59:32

Not a word in the Star or Globe.

TOareaFan

102 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 : 18:08:02

quote:

Originally posted by john tv

That is the problem in this town....if it ain't Lynx v Rhinos, soccer gets no coverage at all!

G-Man

east side

Canada

632 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 : 21:59:10

quote:

Originally posted by TOareaFan

quote:

That is the problem in this town....if it ain't Lynx v Rhinos, soccer gets no coverage at all!

I thought that TO was now a soccer crazed town with MLS about!

Loud Mouth Soup

923 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 : 23:45:31

Oh boy, more media conspiracies from johntv!!!

RealGooner

Toronto

401 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 : 12:14:33

There were a whole bunch of young guys with white Santos tracksuits walking around the Eatoin centre on Tuesday afternoon. I guess they were Santos youth players along for the trip and doing the touristy thing.

john tv

Pickering

231 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 : 16:44:05

Well LMS call it what you want there is a serious problem here. I would appreciate your observations about the way Canadian soccer and now even this is being treated in the media.As well as these media guys trying to kill the stadium deal.

Let stay away from this conspiricy thing but certainly try to see the whole picture right accross Canada.

G-Man

east side

Canada

632 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 : 18:41:08

quote:

Well LMS call it what you want there is a serious problem here. I would appreciate your observations about the way Canadian soccer and now even this is being treated in the media.As well as these media guys trying to kill the stadium deal.

Let stay away from this conspiricy thing but certainly try to see the whole picture right accross Canada.

until people in TO show up for games, let say more than 3K a game, why should the papers cover it. I bet the typical Walmart in TO makes far more sales in a week than people who went to all of last year pro soccer games in Toronto. Yet I don't notice the media fawning over the Don Mills Wal Mart store.

I think it's only fair that coverage is earned and not whined for.

Edited by - G-Man on 11/10/2005 18:43:14

Rocket Robin

North York

Canada

605 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 : 19:33:56

There's coverage after the game in today's Toronto Star:

Starless night bad omen for MLS team

Tiny crowd watches Sporting no-names

Nov. 10, 2005. 01:06 AM

CATHAL KELLY

On a blustery evening more suited to indoor pursuits, Portugal's Sporting Lisbon met Santos of Brazil under the shelter of the Rogers Centre roof last night. Despite the weather, or perhaps because of it, hundreds of fans huddled in packs around ticket booths an hour before game time. They waved pennants and tugged at scarves — the vast majority of them the green and white of Sporting.

There were few big names on display, but their replacements put on a fine show. The high-tempo affair ended in a rousing 5-3 win for Sporting. More notable for the Toronto fan was the size of the crowd at the first big international staged here since it became clear this city will welcome Major League Soccer in 2007. The paltry attendance — 14,673 — has to be a warning sign to the MLS franchise's owners at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.

The mood was festive despite all the empty seats. These are the die-hards, the knowledgable soccer fans MLS wants to attract. But is the feeling mutual?

Forty-five minutes before the game started, Horacio Moniz hustled off a Brampton charter bus, bent into the wind. Would Moniz give MLS a chance?

``Sporting is 100 years of tradition,'' Moniz said, shocked at the comparison. ``MLS is an amateur team compared to this.''

After a few minutes of thought, Moniz said he would go to at least one MLS game. ``I would take the bus even.''

It was not a sentiment that was widely shared. Many Portuguese fans shrugged when asked about MLS, or had to be prompted to give a tepid, ``Yeah, sure.''

Since our MLS team won't have Portuguese players for the Portuguese or Englishmen for the English and so on, how will it appeal to the tribalism that brought out the faithful last night? It's hard to imagine Toronto fans taking special delight in sticking it to Columbus, Ohio, or San Jose — two of our soon-to-be MLS rivals.

The MLS will also have a hard time measuring up to the product on display last night — fluid and attacking stuff mixed with plenty of hard tackles in the centre of midfield. After going out to an early 2-0 lead, Sporting allowed Santos to come back and tie in the second half.

Sporting then regained its footing before Silva put the game away in the 83rd minute with his second goal and Sporting's fifth.

The game featured several untried youngsters on both sides determined to showcase their skills. Sporting forward Nani looked especially dangerous.

It's also possible the sparse crowd may have been a case of once bitten, twice shy.

The Santos on display last night wasn't the defending champions of Brazil. It was a squad made up of youth academy projects.

Santos may have been distracted. After a 7-1 drubbing over the weekend, they fired their coach. Assistant Humberto Grondona found out he'd been made interim coach in Toronto.

Sporting left stars like Joao Alves, Ricardo and Joao Moutinho at home to rest for internationals this coming weekend.

Like Italian supporters in June or Glasgow Rangers fans in July, last night was the Brazilian and Portuguese fans' turn to be lured by the promise of legendary teams and disappointed by anonymous, if enlivened, sides.

In fairness, Sporting's fans didn't seem to mind once their team started to roll.

MLSE president Richard Peddie has promised that tickets to see an MLS game will be ``one of the cheapest sports entertainment propositions in the city.'' That's a start. Tickets for last night's game topped out at $70.

Initially, MLSE is hoping to draw crowds in the ``low teens'' to its 20,000-seat stadium. There is a base of devoted Canadian fans here. But are there enough of them?

An MLS team will have to hope the Horacio Monizs of the world can be convinced to take that bus trip from Brampton.

Or they could find some reason for us to hate Columbus.

john tv

Pickering

231 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 : 01:11:54

I am so surprised that I feel obligated to bring the bad news. Gentlemen we are talking about human instincts. soccer is a game that brings out these instincts. The question is, is there a place for these instincts in our N.A. society.Soccer is so foreign to our so called N.A instincts that it even may be a danger.It goes down to the deepest of feelings in our society and that's why the media without really realizing what they are doing follow those instincts. Our instincts tell us that this is a great game theirs we are something that they will not accept these instincts they were brought up with.They will uncounciously resents this game it's against their grain. We feel it's great,they think it's not our way.So this stalemate is controlled by the ones that control the media.

My only hope is that these amazing girls who ultimately will rule our little world in all areas will change all that.OK girls we guys were a complete and total failure please bail us out.

Topic

Archived