CPSL 2005 Stats: The Final Count

leekoo

An October 3, 2005 Final Count

Another CPSL season has just gone into the annals. It's trudged on somehow without a worthy statpak, published attendance figures and maybe even the Rogers Cup. It's been Nuke Soccer's mission to keep Canada's ONLY Professional Soccer League stats alive (we may even give team stats a go).

GOTO http://soccer.loop48.com/modules.php?name=News&file=categories&op=newindex&catid=11

Good job.

While each team's overall rank is listed in your Team Rankings, I would still add the following — the way the final standings should look:

W-D-L     F-A    Pts
1 Vaughan Shooters 16-3-3 55-16 51
2 Toronto Croatia 13-6-3 44-19 45
3 Hamilton Thunder 10-7-5 29-23 37
4 Laval Dynamites 11-3-8 36-25 36
5 Oakville Blue Devils 10-7-5 46-28 35 [*]
6 Toronto Supra 7-8-7 39-30 29
7 Windsor Border Stars 8-4-10 40-35 28
8 North York Astros 8-4-10 31-42 28
9 St. Catharines Wolves 7-5-10 21-26 26
10 London City 6-4-12 26-39 22
11 Brampton Stallions 5-8-9 36-45 20 [**]
12 Durham Storm 1-1-20 10-85 4

[*] 2-point deduction for fielding an ineligible player against Hamilton on October 2
(in addition to 0-0 result being overturned to 2-0 in Hamilton's favour)
[**] 3-point deduction for fielding an ineligible player against St. Catharines on September 25[/code]

I used a head-to-head tiebreaker to separate Windsor and North York.

I didn't notice till now that the Supra got gipped of a playoff spot. Just because they are located in Toronto instead of Windsor.

Stats are a waste of time...Didn't Durham's goals against improve the last three games when they only lost 2-0 each game?

Wow wonder why? How about because of their forfeits?!!!!

What if Gabriel Pop had been able to play that last game against Durham with the Oakville players feeding him the ball? Do you think he would have scored four goals and passed Aaron Bird for the scoring title?

Hamilton did finish ahead of Oakville because Blue Devils dropped three points because Kevin Ricketts played after accumulating three yellow cards. He was supposed to sit out more than one game because a card was for violent conduct.

I just got the standings from the CPSL's Web site and reorganized them. I didn't notice that they hadn't been updated following the forfeit. Thanks for the heads-up.

So Oakville 0 Hamilton 0 should be changed to Oakville 0 Hamilton 2? That puts Hamilton and Oakville even on points, which Robin said should result in a playoff between the two according to league rules. I guess they decided to do the right thing and separate them based on head-to-head, which Hamilton wins thanks to that forfeit. Anyway, I've changed the table as follows: Oakville 0 Hamilton 0 becomes Oakville 0 Hamilton 2.

But before I change Brampton and London, can I get an explanation as to what exactly I'm supposed to change other than their rank? Which match result was changed?

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Stats are a waste of time...Didn't Durham's goals against improve the last three games when they only lost 2-0 each game?

is the league a waste of time, that's what's to be considered ... after all this time operating as a league (canada's ONLY professional league) whatever fans there are still don't have a statpak worth sh*t ...

Hamilton achieved first place because in addition to losing the 1 point gained from the original draw, Oakville also suffered a 2 point deduction.

Brampton's problem occurred in the match against St Catharines which St Catharines won 2-1. So no match points lost but Brampton had 3 points deducted as a penalty so they are down to 20.

Typically the two teams have not been treated equally with Oakville losing 2 points and Brampton 3. Equally typical is the fact that the CPSL has not published the details and their site still has the previous positions.

Neither problem would have happened if the league actually notified the teams when suspensions took effect as their rules state.

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

An October 3, 2005 Final Count

Another CPSL season has just gone into the annals. It's trudged on somehow without a worthy statpak, published attendance figures and maybe even the Rogers Cup. It's been Nuke Soccer's mission to keep Canada's ONLY Professional Soccer League stats alive (we may even give team stats a go).

GOTO http://soccer.loop48.com/modules.php?name=News&file=categories&op=newindex&catid=11

Re. attendance figures, that is a hurdle that the league has to decide to hurdle at some point in time. They want to be seen as a professional league yet will not publish attendance figures. Obviously that is because they cannot do so without actually forcing the individual clubs to release the miniscule numbers and that will be embarassing.

Nevertheless, one day they are going to have to do it.

db

Archived