Winnipeg Sun: Chance of a Lifetime

Winnipeg Fury

Chance of a lifetime

Defender to tryout in Scotland

By KEN WIEBE, STAFF REPORTER

Christian Seon left looking for a spot, but just might be coming away with an opportunity of a lifetime.

Seon, a 16-year-old soccer player who originally hails from Winnipeg, moved to Edmonton this past summer to play for the Edmonton Juventus Soccer Club and try out for Alberta's provincial team.

SHOCKER

Not only did Seon nail down a spot on Alberta's provincial team, he was named captain -- an honour he never received during three years on Manitoba provincial teams.

"It was quite the shock actually, I wasn't expecting it," Seon said in a telephone interview from Edmonton. "I was just hoping to win a spot on the team. I was basically the new guy. It was quite an honour. It made me feel good as a person knowing that people I rarely have contact with see the qualities in me to lead a team of guys I didn't really know."

The captaincy was something Seon welcomed with open arms.

"I didn't put any undo pressure on myself, but I felt it was my duty to lead the team, make sure the team was ready and everything was together," said Seon.

The best may be yet to come for Seon, who caught the eye of a touring coach who got him a tryout with the St. Johnstone Football Club, a first-division team that plays out of Perth, Scotland.

Seon's father Dean expects to hear about getting Christian's passport in the coming days and doesn't anticipate problems.

"It's what I've been working hard for, it's my dream," said Seon, who is a central defender. "You want to make money playing soccer, you want to play for the fun of it and you want to make a living from it. To get the opportunity to go overseas, it blew my mind. It was quite flattering and quite breathtaking."

But don't expect Seon to take a "just happy to be there" approach when he arrives in Scotland.

"If I go over there and perform, they could sign me and I could stay," he said. "It will be quite the experience. I sit down on Saturday and Sunday mornings and see all the pros on TV playing in front of 60,000 people and I want to be there. I'd love to be there. It's what I've been thinking about for many years now."

Archived