Been to Boston?

shaku_bert

non soccer related I know, but I was wondering if any of you have been to Boston. My wife is presenting at a conference (computer geek)and she really wants me to come. Looking on the net, hotels look really expensive ($200 cdn per night). Anyone know of downtown (I assume all the history and things to see are downtown) reasonable hotels? Or if you stay in the burbs is public transport accessible and easy to use? Is there lots to see?

thanks!

If you don't want to clutter the board with post replying to this, feel free to reply to my e-mail (click my screen name and it'll show you a mail.

I have spent a little time in the city;)

Most of what you will want to see is in the city, which is very small and easily walked. Public transportation, locally called the "T" is good and easily used. The subway is good in the city and the closer surrounding cities. Commuter rail is a good option and is quite extensive. If you want a cheaper hotel you may want to stay in a suburban locale that has a commuter rail station. The trains will take you to North or South station depending on from where you are coming. You can get the Green Line subway from North Station or the Red Line from South Station

There is plenty to do if you are into the history thing, too numerous to mention. The Freedom Trail is a good starting point. It is easy to follow as there is a red and brick line that marks it's path is all over Boston.

A Duck Tour(WWII era amphibious/land-water vehicle) is always popular with any visiting family or friends, but very touristy. They depart from the Prudential Centre. It gives you a good base of what is in the city and then you can target specific things in which you are interested.

Other than that there is the New England Aquarium, Museum of Fine Arts(MFA), Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, Boston Common and the Public Garden. Outside the city core the John F. Kennedy Library and Museum can be reached on the Red Line. A trip to Harvard Square/Harvard University in Cambridge, also on the Red Line. I could list more, but you can this sort of info anywhere.

The North End(Italian community) has great restaurants if you are into that sort of thing. Expensive shopping...Copley Square and Newbury street.

If you have specific questions, I will be happy to try to answer.

thanks very much!

I guess you have to suck it up and pay the big prices for lodging if you want to stay downtown, which kind of makes sense in a big place like boston. when I travel to Toronto from work I'm always paying huge dollars so I guess Boston is no different.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Boston is a great city and, like many other big cities, is quite expensive downtown.

But really worth it. There's always something to do. The hotels outside are cheaper,

but the commute and the TIME it takes are bothersome. Enjoy downtown, take a touristy

tour if you wish (about $28) and count the number of Dunkin'Donuts that engulf Boston ...

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

you sound like you travel a lot, redhat. An international man of intrigue?.........

:D

Nah, just trying to escape the West Nile mosquitoes of Winnipeg.:D

This year, I've been to Washington D.C. and Baltimore for family;

Atlanta, Minneapolis for business; and Seattle for the Gold Cup.

Being a Voyageur is great, since I now have a reason to leave town

and watch the MNT all over the place, like a few Voyageurs on this

board. ;)

Archived