Spurs.co.uk - Stalteri checks in

SeanKeay

Not sure if anyone posted this

New boy Paul Stalteri revealed a chat with our former reserve keeper Lars Hirschfeld confirmed a switch to Spurs was the right move for him.

The Canadian international popped into Spurs Lodge late last week to check out his new environment ahead of the start of pre-season training in early July. The 27-year-old joins from German outfit Werder Bremen.

"Obviously I am delighted to be making the move over to England and Tottenham," said the versatile defender. "My first choice was to come to England and I couldn't have chosen a better club.

"I spoke to Lars a couple of times - I have known him for years - and he had nothing but positive things to say about the club so they were good conversations to have."

Paul spent eight seasons in German football, arriving at Bremen as a 20-year-old and spending nearly three campaigns shaping his game in their reserve side before making his first team breakthrough. It is a desire for change and new experiences that sees him swap the Bundesliga for the Premiership.

"It was a sad feeling to leave in one way but an exciting one in another, to be making this change and trying something new. After eight years in Germany my wife and myself felt it was time to move on and I've always had an interest in playing in the Premiership. Hopefully I will have another long go here and we will see what happens after that.

"I've been to London a couple of times before and it is a fantastic city. I am definitely looking forward to the move and everything involved in it.

"It would have been great to have gone there at 20 and played first team football straight away but I think that might have been detrimental to my career. I learned my trade for two and a half seasons and, after that, I couldn't have asked for anything more over the last five seasons.

"I averaged about 30 games a season and we were very successful. I have no doubts over my quality in being able to play in any other league, the Premiership is fantastic and has a worldwide attention attached to it. I am confident I can make the step and it won't take me too long to get adjusted.

"I am quite familiar with the league and I've been a big fan of it for a good few years now. I've watched it week in, week out and followed it right next to the Bundesliga."

Archived