Road Trip May 21-DC vs. KC (R)

MM2

I was down in Virginia for the week and attended the DC United game on Saturday vs. Kanas City Wizards. 3-2 D.C victory.

Observations:

This was the 3rd MLS game I've attended and by far the best. The 1st was in 1999 DC vs. SanJose ( terrible game ) the other in 2003 New England vs. MetroStars (Howard's last game before the move to Man U,)

This game was played at much faster pace then the other two, ball control has improved, the creativity of attack has improved.

On a beautiful evening, 18500 in attendance, we sat near Barra Brava, (11 rows from the field, $30.00 tickets including service charges)On our side of the field most of the fans stood for the final 20 minutes of the game (Barra Brava was up the whole game and had the stands shaking.)

I brought my girlfriend and another couple who had never attended a professional soccer game before and all three left the stadium having thoroughly enjoyed the game.

The oldest and youngest MLS players came on late in the game (Preki and Adu). The kid can play, he setup a goal minutes after entering the game. His main fault is to always check back with the ball, when he could use his speed to break down the wing and create chances from the corner.

If this game is MLS standard, then I don't know what American fans are waiting for (poor attendance this year). And if Montreal or Toronto ever get a franchise, I'll be making several trips to see them play.

Archived