CPSL & NCAA eligibility

quote:Originally posted by soccertis

I got a question regarding ncaa eligbility. I have a scholarship to a school divison 1 in the usa. Is there any possible way I can play in the CPSL without losing my scholarship or inflicting in any ncaa rules.

If you play for pay or not, the school in the NCAA that you play for will have to forfeit any games that you played in if they are caught useing you. You can't play for a team in the CPSL even if you are signed with another non-pro team, which is allowed in the CPSL. You will most likely lose your scholarship in the process.

That happened to a player in the CPSL and a school team last fall.

The league may be semi-pro, may be third division in Canada, but under NCAA it is considered professional.

You can check with the NCAA directly on such matters and should do so for your own good.

quote:Originally posted by T5

If you play for pay or not, the school in the NCAA that you play for will have to forfeit any games that you played in if they are caught useing you. You can't play for a team in the CPSL even if you are signed with another non-pro team, which is allowed in the CPSL. You will most likely lose your scholarship in the process.

That happened to a player in the CPSL and a school team last fall.

The league may be semi-pro, may be third division in Canada, but under NCAA it is considered professional.

You can check with the NCAA directly on such matters and should do so for your own good.

At least somebody considers it professional.

db

I think you should probably talk to your coach at university before you do anything. As knowledgeable as some people are here, I would not base a decision that could affect my college eligibility on info gleaned from a message board.

By the way, I think most of the posters are correct that playing for the CPSL may affect your eligibility. Now that you've heard my opinion, phone your univerisity coach :)

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

I think you should probably talk to your coach at university before you do anything. As knowledgeable as some people are here, I would not base a decision that could affect my college eligibility on info gleaned from a message board.

By the way, I think most of the posters are correct that playing for the CPSL may affect your eligibility. Now that you've heard my opinion, phone your univerisity coach :)

Jason

Right on; check with your NCAA university coach!

Also, playing in the CPSL can affect your status if you play for a Canadian university vis-a-vis the length of eligibility time you can play for a Canadian university.

I believe the U of Toronto had that problem either last year or the year before with that issue.

Archived