I doubt we will get the U20 WYC...

Moosehead

I really wish we do, but just don't think we will at this point. Pipe and Warner said the same thing with the Women's World Cup in 2003 and then it went 100% to the States. I recall Pipe saying it was guaranteed that we would co-host the Women's World Cup. The governments of Canada do not see the importance of this tournament and it certainly is not at this stage getting government involvement to save the World Cup. Unfortunately, its just not a priority for the government, despite the fact soccer is a world game, its not on the radar screen in this country.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

I really wish we do, but just don't think we will at this point. Pipe and Warner said the same thing with the Women's World Cup in 2003 and then it went 100% to the States. I recall Pipe saying it was guaranteed that we would co-host the Women's World Cup. The governments of Canada do not see the importance of this tournament and it certainly is not at this stage getting government involvement to save the World Cup. Unfortunately, its just not a priority for the government, despite the fact soccer is a world game, its not on the radar screen in this country.

I agree. If the CSA is unable to come up with a concrete plan by the time Holland 2005 ends, I expect a formal announcement from FIFA shortly there after. Tick, tick, tick...

Yes, and I worry that with an election looming there'll be little interest in Ottawa for any of this. The budget will likely NOT pass. Perhaps RiverCity could let us know if a crushed budget will impact on the federal amount promised. What are the implications for this tournie if the Tories win a minority? Or does any of that really matter?

Archived