For those whose first language is not English...

algorithim

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

"You owe me a new acorn!"

Isn't it great to have kids. Love that Emperor's New Groove!

Theme Song Guy!

P.S. I hope this is what you were talking about.

I'm like Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls. It just happens to be one of my special superpowers. I also get an automatic +2 when bumming smokes.

quote:Originally posted by algorithim

thats like here, in Dublin we have people called Skangers who speak incomprehensible English, I can pass myself off as one of them!

No Den!:D:D:D

Newfies are Newfoundlanders. The come from out east and have thier very own strong english dialect. I can usually tell a east coaster here, cause of the accent and they are all actually really nice.

quote:Originally posted by algorithim

thats like here, in Dublin we have people called Skangers who speak incomprehensible English, I can pass myself off as one of them!

Ha!

Wee Elf works in a hospital and called me in one day to drop off a bite of supper and smokes. Walks in to find the whole staff on the ward gathered about these two elderly ladies trying to figure out what they're saying. Thick, thick Aberdeen accents. Right off the boat. Timing's everything and it helps to have a bit of a trained ear. All they wanted was to know where the cantina was and if it would be alright if they could wheel their friend down for a cup of tea and a smoke afterwards.

I'll tell you what though. Realy had to turn the ear to figure all that out though. Nice ladies. If I have have the wits they had at their age I'll count myself lucky.

Actually they did a study and found that the good people of Newfoundland speak a version of English that is closer to the language of Shakespeare than anywhere else in the world.

I guess 12 generations of perfect isolation will do that!

Archived