What's the point of a national "Open Cup"?

Elias

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by Elias

For those, like DJT and Daniel, that said "we want a national champion", so if we had a true top-level national league, would that be good enough? Or is part of it the whole concept of a single-game elimination tournament, like HamiltonSteelers fantasy of Grimsby vs. Stoney Creek final in Dundas. [:P]

Didn't we have a Spectator Cup final like that... surely we must have.

I don't understand this argument that there would be no TV deal. Ever since SportsNet hit the airwaves (originally CTV now Rogers) I have seen them make every attempt to televise as much Canadian soccer as they can, from mens and womens NT, competitions, A-League, etc. This would still be the case if we had a better national competition...I mean a real national competition where I could actually know our champion as common knowledge and not read about it months later on a newsboard!

I just don't buy the idea of a national cup. Look at the US open cup, not a lot of people care about the tournament...We just don't have enough good teams in this country. In pre-season last year, the Impact killed a Quebec all-star team by 8-0 or something. Most cup games would be one sided. It would make a joke of such a competition...

If we want to do something here in Canada, we have to focus on a national league, not a national cup...

quote:Originally posted by Elias

For those, like DJT and Daniel, that said "we want a national champion", so if we had a true top-level national league, would that be good enough?

I can't speak for Daniel, but for me, yes, at least if it is "very clear" that this league is superior to everything else in Canada (like the USL D1 is "clearly" superior to everything else right now, which is why I'm happy with a national cup beginning with only the three USL D1 clubs to crown a national champion).

Of course I like the idea of an "open" cup competition in and of itself, and I like the idea of a league even more, but first and foremost what I want is a national champion, however we can achieve that. My posts in this thread have been written with this in mind, though clearly I'm on a different wavelength from the original question and most respondents, hence I'm making myself more clear now.

The easiest way to determine a national champion at this point is through the Voyageurs Cup format. But it's not official, and the fact that its matches already count as USL matches makes it a poor format for an official competition (and there are other reasons why I wouldn't want it to become official).

The next easiest way to determine a national champion is through a tournament for the three USL D1 clubs, which is what I am proposing. But your idea of adding a team like Victoria United as hosts is interesting; I agree that the tournament would probably garner attention in such a community.

From there we introduce more teams in due time, to build an "open" cup everyone is talking about.

I know that many people don't care about determining a national champion. Well, that's just a fundamental thing we're not going to agree upon.

Archived