Canada's next national anthem

Soju

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Mr Tambourine Man - William Shatner

I see no other real options, not if we are to be taken seriously.

If we are to be taken seriously?

Hmmmmm. The Shat's 'Tambourine Man' eh? Well, the psychotic turn of events at the end is kindof jarring, but i don't know if that's the effect you want. I think that the Shat's version of the Beatles's 'LSD' might be a bit more suitable, just for the righteous use of echo. Or better yet, Shatners rendition of 'Rocket Man' - the delirious delivery and the way he syllabalizes ROCK-ET MAN at one time - its as if the whole song is a free verse poem spoken by Shatner while he's coming down from some really bad shrooms. I'd choose rocket man, much more metaphoric.

First, he needs to get on a bill, hey let's make a 2.50 bill for the Shat, THEN, a revised anthem. Progress comes in increments Soju, not in leaps.

Although 'Working for the weekend' is the strongest piece in the Loverboy ouevre, i just don't think it's good enough to embrace the soup that is our Canada.

What about Rush? A certain 'Tom Sawyer' or 'Subdivisions' comes to mind. Leonard Cohen's 'Chelsea Hotel #2', though a randy choice, would be kind of cool.

All of Stompin' Tom's done as one loooooong song ...."Tilsenberg, my back still aches when I hear that word"..."Bud the spud from the bright red mud" ...."Leamington Tomatoes......everybody loves tomatoes"......aaaaaaaand "The good ole hockey game , it's the best game in the land ....."

Or we could dig out some Gordon Lightfoot or Oscar Brand " From Vancouver Island to the Alberta Highlands , cross the prairies the lakes to Ontario's power from the sound of Mount Royals chimes out to the Maritimes .....something to sing about this land of ours "

Just no Bobby Jimby or Gimby or something like that " One little , two little Canadians ...."

I'm going to wipe a tear now.

Yes , I am old enough to remember the Oscar Brand sing a-long show and I was just a newbie teenager for Centennial year.

And how can anybody pass on Loverboys "The Boys in the Bright White Sports Car" ?

Archived