Alberta W-League Teams

beachesl

Hopefully the W-League situation in Alberta will solidify soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On the hot seat

Ailing Edmonton teams could hurt local soccer squads

By IAN BUSBY -- Calgary Sun

The uncertain ownership of Edmonton's W-League soccer franchise may force the Calgary Wildfire to cease operations for next season.

The Edmonton entry in the fledgling loop is without owners and its situation might affect the Wildfire.

Making a trip to Alberta for only one game wouldn't be cost effective for the other W-League teams.

But, until a decision is made, Wildfire GM Glenn Ramsay is approaching the 2005 campaign like any other.

"I'm optimistic something will get done because there is interest in it," Ramsay said about the Edmonton franchise.

"They have a pretty good on-field program, so that always brings added excitement."

With United Soccer Leagues schedules drawn up in November, Ramsay expects news on the state of the Wildfire's provincial rivals in the coming weeks.

If Edmonton doesn't play in 2005, the Wildfire might shut down its operation temporarily.

"We'll have to consider that option," Ramsay said. "Right now, we're saying we're going in. If at one point that we hear they won't be in, we'll consider it. As far as it looks right now, we're going to go ahead."

Meanwhile, Edmonton's A-League franchise is a no-go for 2005 after the USL took over the team midway through this season.

Tim Holt, USL vice-president, cast some doubt on the Calgary Mustangs' future, too, when he refused to make an official statement about the team yesterday.

But Mustangs co-owner John Torode said Edmonton's demise won't affect his club, which is busy putting together plans for 2005.

The Mustangs received an extension of USL's permission to play at McMahon Stadium with the less-than-ideal turf.

The team must move out of its Burns Stadium offices at the end of this month to make room for the new Northern League baseball franchise but the 'Stangs are full steam ahead, despite losing their provincial rival.

"It would be better to have them because it's less expensive to go to Edmonton than anywhere else," Torode said.

"Other than that, it really doesn't affect us. It's disappointing. It would be nice to keep that rivalry going."

What will happen to the Women's V-Cup if teams drop out ?

If there was a vote and if I had a vote I'd say ...gotta keep it up even if there's only one western team and four eastern teams . Some how , some way figure it out . There's just no point of starting something and not finishing it.

But fingers crossed the Wildfire will hang in !! and the Edmonton W-League team will continue !!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's time to start a W-Canada league with only Canadian teams in it. To make it fair the CSA should assign national team players to teams, so there is no team with like 15 NT players on it. Also every team should wear red at home and white on the road. This will save money on uniforms. And when on the road players should be billeted with fans. This would cut down on hotel costs and meal costs. Also coaches should not be paid but coached by parents who have a love of the game. Also we should petition the PM to insist that the Radio One do broadcast a game of the week over the Internet. And I’m sure we could get Air Canada to sponsor the league and fly the teams for free in exchange for space in game programs.

Here what I think the line up should be!

Far East"

St Johns

Halifax

Moncton

Quebec City

Montreal

Laval

PEI

Middle

Ottawa

Sudbury

Toronto

Kingston

North Bay

Sturgeon Falls

Belleville

Burlington

West

Calgary

Edmonton

Vancouver

Moose Jaw

Regina

Winnipeg

Victoria

I think it's time to start a W-Canada league with only Canadian teams in it. To make it fair the CSA should assign national team players to teams, so there is no team with like 15 NT players on it. Also every team should wear red at home and white on the road. This will save money on uniforms. And when on the road players should be billeted with fans. This would cut down on hotel costs and meal costs. Also coaches should not be paid but coached by parents who have a love of the game. Also we should petition the PM to insist that the Radio One do broadcast a game of the week over the Internet. And I’m sure we could get Air Canada to sponsor the league and fly the teams for free in exchange for space in game programs.

Here what I think the line up should be!

Far East"

St Johns

Halifax

Moncton

Quebec City

Montreal

Laval

PEI

Middle

Ottawa

Sudbury

Toronto

Kingston

North Bay

Sturgeon Falls

Belleville

Burlington

West

Calgary

Edmonton

Vancouver

Moose Jaw

Regina

Winnipeg

Victoria

G-man,

You missed some cities.

Quebec City, Granby (who played host to the U-16 Club Championships, Sherbrooke and Hull. In Ontario, you have Prescott, Merrickville and Cornwall. All within hours of each other.

Maybe these 7 teams could form the CWSL's east second division and have their games broadcast on local cable stations.

I'm sure we could get enough investors to start up a CWSL Alantic 2nd division. Maybe get the Universities out there to run these teams and use their players.

I know if Sackville had a team, my uncle out there would go and watch in the summer. And there must other guys like my uncle , who love taking pictures of young girls running around in shorts out there.

I hope this works!

Good Idea!

I think there should be an indoor women's pro league in Canada. It would help these teams make even more money. Think of all the junior hockey rinks and then think of putting in fielturf and playing soccer in them. I’m sure the league could get a deal on the turf, if we buy it bulk.

I think right now there are 96 major junior teams. That's a possibility of 96 CWSLi (Canadian Women’s Soccer League indoor) teams playing a 7 month season. And if we break it down along junior hockey lines and have 3 conferences, travel will be cheap. And we can make it even cheaper if we were to have double headers with the hockey teams. The teams could share a bus.

Players would be lined up to play. I bet they’d even play for free, and for those that are married and have young kids- we could have youth teams come out and baby sit for them during games. Talk about community involvement.

Let’s GO GIRL!

I like that.

Just think of the Jr B and JR C clubs that could run 3 and 4th division women's indoors leagues. By 2008, we could have 300-team set-up with promotion and relegation. And by that time the teams in the big cities could move into NHL rinks to accommodate all those pro soccer fans. We could even have an inuit division for our northern players.

AND With all the profit we could fund a 10-team men’s outdoor league.

I like that.

Just think of the Jr B and JR C clubs that could run 3 and 4th division women's indoors leagues. By 2008, we could have 300-team set-up with promotion and relegation. And by that time the teams in the big cities could move into NHL rinks to accommodate all those pro soccer fans. We could even have an inuit division for our northern players.

AND With all the profit we could fund a 10-team men’s outdoor league.

• 2 weeks later...

So I heard a rumour that the league has awarded a franchise to Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba. The team is going to be called the Real Ladies of Lac Du Bonnet United Hercules.

The "Real" and "United" is being used a tribute to the European roots of the sport. "Hercules " has been thrown in as a tribute to the Greek god Hercules.

No word on what division they'll play in.

Archived