Canadian Keeper on Trail with Swans

nufc87

I heard of this guy when he was playing for Barry Town in the Welsh Premier a couple years ago...I know very little of him, and as a Swansea supporter I want to know more, not only for club, but also country...does anyone know anything else about this Rayner chap?

Thursday, July 15, 2004

RAYNER THE LATEST TO BID FOR NO.1 JERSEY

Evening Post

Former Port Talbot goalkeeper Simon Rayner is the latest to try to fill the gloves of Roger Freestone. Canadian Rayner, who stands at 6ft 8in tall began a trial with Swansea City yesterday.

Rayner, who was also on trial at the Vetch Field club before last season, played against Swansea for Neath in pre-season this time last year.

He also had a spell on trial at Newcastle United towards the end of last season.

Rayner was given his chance to impress manager Kewnny Jackett after former Luton and Barry stopper Mark Ovendale's trial period ended.

Cheers...but none of those really explain his background, all the articles say "Canadian Born" which could mean that he could also be as Welsh as Leeks and coal mines. he played non-league football last year at Neath...which means he must be a British national by now, beacause you can't get a work permit to play amateur sport, because it dosn't pay. I was wondering where in Canada is he from, and what his national team record is and if hes been capped at any level. All the articles are Welsh so they don't go deep into his Canadian backround and details as that is irrelevant to the Welsh readers.

Archived