Pre-WCQ friendly with Jamaica called off

RS

Apparently, something was in the pipeline in regards to a friendly with Jamaic, but that has been thrown into doubt due to lack of player availability on Jamaica's end (and probably ours, as well).

I got the article below from the forum at thereggaeboyz.com:

No games for Boyz?

Jamaica unlikely to play warm-up games before meeting US

published: Thursday | July 8, 2004

BROWN

Nodley Wright, Freelance Writer

THE REGGAE Boyz could go into the semi-finals of their CONCACAF group World Cup qualifiers without a much-needed practice match.

Jamaica, who are due to meet the United States at the National Stadium on August 18 in their opening semi-final round encounter, could be forced to abandon plans of playing two friendlies due to the unavailability of the overseas-based players.

"We might not have the games at all. If we do not get the players then it will make no sense for us to have the games," technical director Carl Brown told The Gleaner yesterday.

Brown, who had earlier indicated that he wanted two games to get the players in the shape for the U.S. match, said he had written to the clubs of the professionals in England and only one has responded.

"We have written to the clubs explaining our plans and the responses have not really been forthcoming. I can foresee us not assembling before August 15," said Brown.

RESPONSE

"Only one club, Oldham Athletic, has responded to us and they have written to say that they will not be releasing the player (Jermaine Johnson) before the time for the World Cup qualifier," he added.

Among the countries Brown had expressed in having games with were Canada and Chile on the possible dates of July 18 or 25, or August 2.

The absence of the games, Brown reasoned, will not affect his preparations negatively.

"I am not certain that it will affect our plans negatively, as it is something (us not having the players for the games) that I saw coming. The thing is, though, if there are new players, then you would want to see them in a game situation and we will probably not be able to see them now. That, I believe, would be the only drawback," he explained.

"I suspect, though, that most of the other countries will face a similar situation."

That drawback, he added, will be lessened by the fact that other countries, such as America, will be similarly inconvenienced.

Brown was able to identify positives in the fact that all the players would have been involved in pre-season training.

"One important thing is that the players will be going through pre-season where they will be having serious preparations ahead of their season. The situation is that the First Division starts on August 7 and the Premier League on the 14th, which means that we will be getting players who are match-ready," he added.

Archived