Voyageurs Cup Match 7: Calgary vs. Edmonton [R]

DJT

<center>Voyageurs Cup 2004

Match 7Calgary Mustangs vs. Edmonton AviatorsFriday, June 25, 2004 - 7:00 PM MDT

McMahon Stadium, CalgaryTelevision: FSW, FSWC at 9:00 PM MDT</center>

Match Previews

[*]Calgary

» VC:  1-0-1  3-2  3  /  A-League:  2-2-7  10-20  8

» Mustangs news

» Cameron Maxwell, The Calgary Sun - posted below

[*]Edmonton

» VC:  0-1-0  1-1  1  /  A-League:  0-5-4  3-13  5

» Aviators media release (through OurSports Central)

» Aviators preview page

[*]MatchNight!

[*]Fox Sports World/A-League (through OurSports Central)

Voyageurs Cup

From The Calgary Sun:

Fri, June 25, 2004

Mustangs look to sweep Aviators

By CAMERON MAXWELL, CALGARY SUN

Some may say the Calgary Mustangs are over the hump following their last match, a decisive 3-0 win over the Vancouver Whitecaps. However, the captain of the A-League club, Geert Brusselers, begs to differ.

With the winless Edmonton Aviators (0-4-5) in town tonight to take on the 'Stangs (McMahon Stadium, 7 p.m., Fox Sportsworld) in the first of a home-and-home series, Brusselers said his team still has something to prove.

"It's simple. We have two games against Edmonton and if we want to have any business in this league, we have to win twice," said the Dutch midfielder.

"I'm not saying it's going to be easy against Edmonton, these are derbies, and there's a lot of emotion involved and it's going to be a very tough game, maybe even tougher than against Vancouver.

"If we want to mean something in the A-League, we should be able to win from Edmonton twice and that's going to be extra pressure now, and if we win those games, then we can (say) we've taken off."

The last time the two teams tangled, they played to a 1-1 draw at McMahon but Brusselers said the Mustangs should be able to handle their provincial rivals and do it live on international TV.

"I think we have a better team but, at the moment I say that, I know I'm going to put some extra pressure on our shoulders, but we have to face it -- we're supposed to be the better team and we have to prove it and if we don't, it's our mistake," he said.

The Mustangs currently sit with a 2-7-2 record but are 2-2-2 on McMahon's artificial turf, where they've played well all season and certainly enjoy a home-field advantage.

"I think we have an advantage simply because of the fact that we practice on in more than the other teams and it needs some adjustment," said Brusselers.

- - -

NIENDORF OUT: Calgary head coach Thomas Niendorf won't be on the sideline tonight. He's in Vancouver, where his daughter is set to graduate from university.

Team officials knew Niendorf would be gone for the game before the season started.

In his absence, captain Geert Brusselers and backup goalie Jamey Glasnovic will handle the coaching duties.

Meanwhile, anyone wearing blue, yellow or a soccer jersey gets in free for tonight's game.

quote:Originally posted by snake

how big is the crowd on tv

Didn't look too good, but apparently there was some ugly weather move in shortly before kick off. Between weather and Flames games, Calgary really keeps drawing the short end of the stick when it comes to their home dates.

Pitch looked to play very fast. Edmonton actually was attacking most of the first half, even when ahead. Fraser looked good and I thought Handsor played well in the first half.

Unfortunately only was able to sporadically watch the second half, so I won't offer any opinion on it.

From The Calgary Sun:

Bittersweet draw

Missed chances cost Mustangs win over Aviators

By CAMERON MAXWELL, CALGARY SUN

The Calgary Mustangs will take the draw with a scowl on their faces. That's because they felt last night's 1-1 tie with the Edmonton Aviators at McMahon Stadium, in front of an announced crowd of 3,198, should have been a victory.

Missed chances for the Mustangs and a world-class free kick goal early on by the visitors kept it deadlocked, even after two 10-minute overtime frames.

"That's been the story of the whole season. We do create our chances and we don't score. That, I think, was the only negative point about the whole game," said Calgary 'keeper Lutz Pfannenstiel, who is from Munich, Germany.

"We could have finished it and actually should have finished it. On Monday, it's a new game against the same opposition and we have to get the result (in Edmonton)."

It didn't take long for the Aviators to take flight -- four minutes to be exact -- as midfielder Nikola Vignjevic scored from more than 30 yards out on a free kick by blasting a shot into the top corner, past an outstretched Pfannenstiel.

It was a brilliant shot that would have been a highlight at Euro 2004 in Portugal.

"It was a very, very nice goal. It was a world-class goal or a freak goal, I don't know how to call it," said Pfannenstiel, who wasn't tested much in the match, making just six saves.

"It was unbelievable, I saw it a bit late. I nearly got there -- I was a bit surprised -- but turned around and saw it was in the top corner.

"I don't think anybody could have saved that one. Maybe every five years you'll score a goal like that."

Calgary, which improves to 2-7-3 on the season, dominated most of the play but wasn't able to bulge the twine until late in the match when Jamie Auvigne capitalized on a penalty shot that came in the 78th minute.

Aviators goalie Jose Luis Campi guessed to his right but Auvigne calmly booted a low ball into the opposite side of the net.

Moments later, Mustangs midfielder Steffen Holdt missed the net on a good scoring opportunity.

Then came overtime and it looked like the Mustangs' Damir Jesic would end it when he pounced on a loose rebound but Campi got his left arm on the ball that seemed destined to find twine.

Calgary came close again in the second OT frame but Mesut Mert's header missed the net by less than half a foot.

With three minutes left, Edmonton's Freddy Akok was alone in front of the Mustangs goal but Pfannestiel made his best save of the night by coming out and getting a piece of Akok's close-range blast.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Only 3,198 and they were giving away tickets?

First half of the game it was raining heavily with lightning in the area. Rain had stopped by half time, but I can understand folks not wanting to bring out their kids to sit in the stands for this kind of weather. Was really a shame as earlier had been almost perfect, but Calgary still can't seem to shake the Storm association. :D

Archived