Fenwick news

MikeD

I found this two week old article in The Scotsman's archives. Sorry if it was posted already, but I didn't remember seeing it. The part relevant to Paul Fenwick is in bold below.

Venus won't be linchpin

DAVID HARDIE

HIBS will hand Mark Venus a playing contract if he accepts an offer to become new boss Tony Mowbray’s right-hand man at Easter Road.

But claims Mowbray is ready to build his defence around his 37-year-old pal are wide of the mark.

Instead Venus, who played alongside Mowbray for four years at Ipswich Town, will use his vast experience to help guide Hibs’ young players in reserve matches.

Venus is expected to be unveiled as Mowbray’s assistant when the Hibs manager returns from holiday next week but while keen to use his former team-mate’s knowledge on the pitch it is understood he doesn’t see him featuring regularly in the SPL.

The veteran defender began his career with his hometown club Hartlepool, spent three seasons with Leicester City and made 287 appearances for Wolverhampton Wanderers before spending six years at Portman Road and then moving on to Cambridge.

Central defence, however, is one area of his side Mowbray will be looking closely at with the pace of Mathias Doumbe having been lost with the 24-year-old French star following ex-manager Bobby Williamson to Plymouth Argyle.

However, Mowbray still has Northern Ireland’s Colin Murdock, veteran defender Gary Smith and Paul Fenwick at his disposal, the Canadian defender having made clear his intention to win back a first-team jersey after being frozen out by Williamson last season.

Hibs are also in negotiations aimed at extending Scotland ace Gary Caldwell’s stay at Easter Road, the 21-year-old having impressed Mowbray during the recent international victory over Trinidad and Tobago at Easter Road in which the Stirling-born youngster played a holding role in midfield.

Mowbray met Caldwell for the first time after that match, the player later declaring his preference would be to sign a new contract with Hibs if a deal could be struck.

Meanwhile, former Hibs assistant manager Gerry McCabe has joined Williamson at Home Park, the Easter Road connection on the south coast of England strengthened even further with the news that John Blackley, who had been expected to follow Paul Sturrock to Southampton this summer, will stay with Plymouth as a coach after all.

Hibs fans were today reminded they have until 4pm tomorrow to take advantage of the club’s "early bird" season ticket offer as it was disclosed sales have rocketed above the 4000 mark with a remarkable 500 sold yesterday.

• 1 month later...

Fenwick has no future with Hibs

By Michael Robertson

252 words

28 July 2004

The Express

English

© 2004 Express Newspapers

HIBS boss Tony Mowbray has told Paul Fenwick he is free to find a new club.

The Canadian internationalist defender was frozen out under previous manager Bobby Williamson and with Mowbray keen to put his own stamp on the Easter Road team, the 34-year-old has been told he can move.

The signing of Scotland internationalist Gary Caldwell, and the fact that Gary Smith and Jonathan Baillie are also ahead of Fenwick in the pecking order, means he will have to find first-team football elsewhere.

However, the main sticking point to his departure could be an agreement over the final year of his contract, as he was rewarded with a longer deal in return for taking a pay-cut. Mowbray said: "I've had a chat with Paul and I told him it would maybe be best for all parties if we could find other alternatives for him.

"He needs to be playing and I can't guarantee that.

Hopefully we can find him something that suits him."

With Fenwick appearing to be on his way out, Mowbray is hopeful of bringing in David Murphy. The former Middlesbrough defender impressed in last weekend's 2-1 win over Cardiff City and talks have begun with the 20-year-old.

Mowbray said: "I hope we can come to an agreement in the next couple of days."

Meanwhile, Hibs fans are reminded that Saturday's friendly against Leeds is an all-ticket affair.

Football: PAUL IS ON WAY OUT OF HIBEES

224 words

28 July 2004

Mirror

English

© 2004 Mirror Group Ltd

OUT: Fenwick

PAUL FENWICK is set to leave Easter Road after Hibs boss Tony Mowbray told the defender he couldn"t guarantee him first team football.

Mowbray is keen to add new faces to the squad and has told the 34-year-old he can move on.

Fenwick signed from Raith Rovers in June 2000 and helped the club finish third and reach the Scottish Cup Final the following season.

The main sticking point to the player"s departure, however, could be an agreement over the final year of his contract. The centre-half had previously been rewarded with a longer deal in return for taking a pay-cut.

Mowbray explained: "I told him it would maybe be best for all parties if we can try and find other alternatives for him.

"He"s at a sta__ in his career where he needs to be playing and I can"t guarantee him that.

"I"m trying to bring some new faces in and develop the club and he understands my predicament."

With Fenwick appearing to be on his way out, Mowbray hopes to seal a deal with 20-year-old defender David Murphy after he impressed as a trialist.

He said: "I hope we can come to an agreement in the next couple of days."

Actually, Luis, he's got a year left on his contract with Hibs so he's better off hanging around, showing up at practice and collecting his paycheques even if they never play him. I'm sure he could catch on with a club in a lower division in Scotland if he wanted to, but I doubt they could pay him as much as he's getting now at Hibs.

If he can't find a club willing to pay him enough, the best solution might be a loan deal of some sort to a lower division club. That way Hibs and the other club can split his salary. Hibs saves some money and the lower division club gets a veteran SPL defender for a bargain price.

SOCCER SHOTS

253 words

30 July 2004

Daily Star

English

© copyright Express Newspapers 2004

AXED Hibs defender Paul Fenwick, 34, is to become a physio in his native Canada. "I trained as a physio and I feel maybe it's time to get on with my real life. I just hope I can play for this season, " he said.

(so I guess they are referring to next year, perhaps?)

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

SOCCER SHOTS

253 words

30 July 2004

Daily Star

English

AXED Hibs defender Paul Fenwick, 34, is to become a physio in his native Canada. "I trained as a physio and I feel maybe it's time to get on with my real life. I just hope I can play for this season, " he said.

(so I guess they are referring to next year, perhaps?)

Based on this information, it would appear that Fenwick is somewhat throwing-in the towel for good.

FYI, Falkirk is in Scottish 2nd tier league (Division One).

Football: BAIRNS EYE UP FENWICK MOVE

143 words

1 August 2004

Sunday Mail

English

© 2004 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday Mail Ltd

FALKIRK gaffer John Hughes wants veteran Hibs defender Paul Fenwick to shore up the Bairns" defence.

Hughes is searching for an experienced centre half and the 34-year-old stopper fits the bill.

Hibs are keen to let the Canadian internationalist leave after five years at Easter Road, either by allowing him to go on loan or paying off the remainder of his contract.

A move to Falkirk would suit Fenwick as he has a young family and the distance would not be too much of an obstacle.

First division - they were also Davide Xausa's last club in Scotland before he came home to join the Whitecaps.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hibs send Fenwick to Falkirk on a season-long loan. Hibs are going to have to pay his salary this year anyway so, rather than pay him to do nothing but practice for ten months, they might as well loan him out and get Falkirk to cover some, if not all, of his salary. Paul will also get the opportunity to end his career on the pitch, rather than in the press box.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I think Falkirk were supposed to go up to the SPL a few years back but there grounds were not up to the SPL standards.

Exactly. They had proposed a ground-share with Airdrie, but it wasn't good enough for the SPL, even though it is essentially what Inverness are doing this year. Falkirk is currently building Falkirk Stadium. They have the main stand up and it looks like it could be one of the best new facilities if they get the whole thing built (and in Scotland that is always a big if). For a quick looksee visit:

http://www.scottishgroundguide.co.uk/

The SPL is also reducing its stadium capacity requirement to 10,000 all-seater to 5,000 all-seater (minimum) starting next season. I understand that Falkirk's new stadium will be over 5,000, so if they win the Scottish First Division again they'll go up this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest news on Paul Fenwick. I am really hoping that this time Paul gets in with St-Johnstone. It also appears that other Scottish clubs have been recently courting Fenwick.

en.gif

Saints follow Fenwick

Wed 18 Aug 2004

ST JOHNSTONE were today on the trail of out-of-favour Hibs defender Paul Fenwick who has been told he can leave the Easter Road club.

After suffering defeat in the opening two games of the season, including a 3-1 hammering at home by Clyde, the Perth outfit lie at the foot of the First Division, separated from bottom-placed Raith Rovers only by goal difference.

Saints boss John Connolly was also dismayed to see his side, which started the season among the promotion favourites, crash out of the CIS Cup, beaten 3-2 by Second Division Alloa Athletic who now face Hibs in the second round next week.

Connolly is desperate to shore up a defence which has conceded seven goals in those three games and sees the experienced Fenwick as the ideal player to do so.

A Canadian internationalist, Fenwick found himself frozen out by former Hibs boss Bobby Williamson last season despite having played in virtually every game the previous season.

The 34-year-old found himself in that situation despite being one of the few players to respond to the Easter Road club’s call to accept an extended contract in return for a reduced wage to help ease Hibs financial problems.

The arrival of Tony Mowbray to replace Williamson after his defection to Plymouth Argyle appeared to offer Fenwick renewed hope but the new Hibs boss has also made it clear he won’t feature in his plans.

Fenwick, who was signed for Hibs by Alex McLeish, has already indicated he intends to hang up his boots and return to Canada at the end of this season to begin a career as a physiotherapist having already qualified in that profession.

Today Mowbray confirmed St Johnstone’s interest in signing Fenwick.

He said: "A couple of clubs have made an inquiry about Paul and St Johnstone were one of them.

"After giving Paul permission to speak to a few clubs, St Johnstone appeared to be the club he seemed to be happy to talk to but at this moment in time it is in Paul’s court.

"Paul needs to play. It is no good training every day of the week and having nothing to do at the end of it. I’ve had a chat with Paul and I think it would suit everyone if he makes the choice to go."

Hibs and St Johnstone have until the transfer window closes at the end of this month to strike a deal although it is believed the Easter Road outfit won’t be difficult to deal with.

A move to McDiarmid Park would also suit Fenwick who has made it clear he had no intention of up-rooting his young family from their home on the outskirts of Edinburgh for the sake of what, in effect, will be a few months.

This article:

http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=957042004

St Johnstone FC:

http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=717

Websites:

St Johnstone FC

http://www.stjohnstonefc.co.uk

Football: Fenwick in a rush

168 words

19 August 2004

Scottish Daily Record

English

© 2004 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday Mail Ltd

HIBS defender Paul Fenwick faces a race against time to seal a move away from the club before the transfer window closes.

St Johnstone boss John Connolly has tabled an offer for the 34-year-old however the terms on offer at McDiarmid Park are not enough for the Canadian to wave goodbye to the final year of his contract in Leith.

And now he is hopeful he can come to a suitable pay-off agreement with the Easter Road side to enable him to play football again, after being frozen out for 13 months in Edinburgh.

Fenwick said: "I am hopeful something can be done before the transfer deadline.

"St Johnstone have offered what they can and I have no problems with their offer but it is just negotiating with Hibs for a settlement which has reached a crossroads.

"Hopefully something can be done because I am sure Hibs would also like to free up some money to strengthen as well."

Looks like Fenwick won't be joining St. Johnstone for the season. I guess Hibs weren't willing to buy out his contract.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=220876&CPID=91&CLID=58&lid=&title=Saints+pull+plug+on+Fenwick+move

Scottish First Division club St Johnstone have decided to end their interest in former Hibernian defender Paul Fenwick.

The 35-year-old Canadian is no longer in the reckoning with the Scottish Premier League side, but he has also failed to agree a settlement to his contract with the Edinburgh-based outfit.

The veteran centre back, who missed out on loan move to Partick Thistle last term, was keen to sign a short-term deal to play one more season in Scotland with The Saints before moving back to Canada to start his career as a physiotherapist.

Fenwick's contractual problems with Hibs, however, have now forced St Johnstone manager John Connolly to end his pursuit of the defender.

"We did make an inquiry regarding Paul, but there was a snag at that end and I will not be pursuing the matter," Connolly said.

The Saints, meanwhile, have had to let two Australian players go after failing to get international clearance for the pair.

The club have also let goalkeeper Craig Nelson join Brechin City on loan until the end of the year after Connolly brought in Allan McGregor on loan from Rangers for the same period.

• 2 weeks later...

Fen to stay at home

by SCOTT BURNS

242 words

7 September 2004

Daily Star

English

HIBS have put Paul Fenwick (below) on gardening leave for the remaining nine months of his contract.

The Canadian defender hasn't played for more than a year and is so far out of the picture he no longer has to report to Easter Road for training.

Fenwick is one of the higher earners at the club and was frozen out when he refused to take a wage cut.

An Easter Road insider said: "Paul has been told he no longer has to come in and train.

"There is very little point if he isn't going to play.

"Paul knows it has nothing to do with his footballing abilities, it is simply down to the financial side of things.

"He is more than welcome to come in and train whenever he wants but if he doesn't want to that is up to him.

"He has been told his wages will still be in the bank every month."

The cash-strapped capital club claimed they couldn't afford to keep playing him because of his wages and excessive appearance money and since then he has to make do with under-21 action.

Hibs have also been unable to scrape together the lump sum to pay the 33-year-old off, so they have told him he can stay at home - on full pay - until his contract expires at the end of the season.

Archived