Stalteri's Card

nolando

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Does it carry over to the group stage? And if it does, should we sit him out for this next one to keep him for a game that counts a whole lot more (ie. one that isn't in the bag)?

I was thinking something similar. During the match I was even wondering if the best thing Stalteri could do would be to deliberately take a second yellow by wasting time on a throw-in or something so he could serve his one match ban in the second match against Belize and not have to miss a semi-final match. I was assuming the card would carry over to the semis. It's an interesting point you raise about whether it might not - I'm not sure about that.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Does it carry over to the group stage? And if it does, should we sit him out for this next one to keep him for a game that counts a whole lot more (ie. one that isn't in the bag)?

I don't know if it carries over but if it does then it would still carry over even if we sat him out against Belize. So the only thing that sitting him out against Belize would accomplish is that it would guarantee that he would be able to play in the first match of the next round, but he would still be at risk of missing one of the following matches if he were to pick up another yellow in the next round, which is probably more likely than picking one up against Belize. Therefore I don't see the point of sitting him out against Belize. I'd prefer to have him play against Belize to give the entire team one more friendly-type match to gel before playing a better opponent.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

During the match I was even wondering if the best thing Stalteri could do would be to deliberately take a second yellow by wasting time on a throw-in or something so he could serve his one match ban in the second match against Belize and not have to miss a semi-final match.

I hate that idea! It would be very unsportsmanlike. I saw Luis Figo do that in the Champions League a couple of years ago and it was horrible, the whole thing became a farce. Especially that smirk on his face when he finally got the yellow he was looking for. I was already beginning to dislike him at the time and that just clinched it. I thought they should have just given him an extra game's suspension.

Archived