Radzinski commits to WCQ

Guest Can. in UK

Guest Can. in UK

Radzinski reveals World Cup dream

by Simon Fudge

Everton striker Tomasz Radzinski is hoping Canada's friendly with Wales is the start of the North American nation's run to the 2006 World Cup.

The 30-year-old will appear for Frank Yallop's Canadian squad on Sunday at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground, with the Wales contest being an important warm-up match before next month's World Cup qualifying tie against Belize.

The former Anderlecht hit-man believes Canada have the emerging quality to compete against the top sides in the Concacaf region once the qualifying campaign begins.

"We have to play 20 games to qualify for the World Cup, which is a huge amount," Radzinski said.

"If we get to the last stage, three of the final six go through so although it is not easy, it is not as difficult as it used to be.

"I have just turned 30 and for me the finals in Germany in 2006 will be the last chance for me to get to the finals.

"I do not want to miss that opportunity and I see the first warm-up game against Wales as the beginning of my dream."

The Polish-born Radzinski, however, is aware of how difficult Sunday's match against Mark Hughes' side will be for the North American nation.

"Wales will be hard. They have improved immensely over the past few years," Radzinski added.

"I used to be in the same Everton side as Mark (Hughes) and he never stopped saying how much stronger Wales had become

"I just missed Mark Hughes (Wales coach) when he was a player at Goodison Park, but everyone says what a good manager he has become and the amount of experience he brings to the Welsh set-up.

"They were leading their Euro 2004 group for so long and I remember watching them beat Italy on TV. That said it all, they almost qualified.

"They really play great football and they have impressed me."

With The Millennium Stadium pre-occupied by the Nationwide League play-offs during the Bank Holiday weekend, Radzinski was a little disappointed not to get the chance to play the friendly in Cardiff.

"I am sure I will enjoy the occasion and it means that it is much closer for Everton fans, I hope, to come and see me play," he added.

"I would like that."

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

Radzinski reveals World Cup dream

by Simon Fudge

"We have to play 20 games to qualify for the World Cup, which is a huge amount," Radzinski said.

If we finish in the top 3 of the Hex wouldn't be 18 games and not 20?

Archived